8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » THUNDERBALL --Derann import feature

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: THUNDERBALL --Derann import feature
Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2007 03:01 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just took delivery on this feature on Saturday....from a seller on Ebay. Price $299.00....luckily much cheaper than a new print from Derann's catalog..but this one is in pristine shape, so I'm sure new prints would be similar. Derann still has this in their latest catalog, so I thought I'd pass along a quick review.
I've been trying to come up with some new and different descriptive words to convey the sharpness of this print.....but I'm having a hard time. The cliches , "pin sharp", or "sharp as a tack" ..come to mind. It's in Scope , of course and combined with near perfect color renderings, it actually made me feel like I was in the theater in 1965 watching this film for the first time. I understand it came from a 35mm IB tech postive print and the printing job done with it is truly outstanding. Image is steady as a rock...sharp edge to edge with lots of detail.

Making it seem even more like a theatrical release are the cue marks at some of the reel changes of the original print...but actually , for me I liked them.

Sound is mono...and very strong (nice bass) recorded at a high level on the stripe, but not too strong to cause distortion.
Just an outstanding print. Mine was mounted on two almost overflowing 1600 foot reels.

I understand that Derann's You Only Live Twice is even nicer than this one, but I'd find that hard to believe.

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 28, 2007 04:07 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't YOLT from CHC?

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2007 12:17 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc ...you are so right. You Only Live Twice is not Derann. thanks.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 28, 2007 12:27 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's my favorite Bond with S. Connery.
CHC were planning to release either a YOLT cutdown or an opener (dixit Phil) but unfortunately, it never happened.
It's good to know that, at least, the full length version is good.
Perhaps you should correct the title of your post, Gary...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2007 05:53 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would love a cut down of YOLT if we all pestered CHC do you think Phil might reconsider?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC