8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 26, 2007 06:28 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Well even if you are not into trains you will certainly enjoy this one situated on the beautiful Kent coast, this film is a tour and history of the smallest public railway track which is 15" Guage, and runs 13.5 miles from Cinque Port of Hythe to the lighthouses at Dungeness. The film starts with early motor racing scenes of the two people responsible back in 1927 for the introduction of the railway, Captain J.E.P. Howey, and Count Louis Zboronski who owned and raced the Chitty Bang Bang Marcedes. The film also shows how the railway was used during the last war with its armoured train used to protect the fuel pipline for the allied invasion force, other interesting events were the visit of Laurel and Hardy, who were to open a new section of line in 1947. Most of the film shows the busy line in use during the summer months. The Walton print has exclellent rich colour, with very good sound and interesting commentary, the film is a little jem, well worth getting for more imformation I would recomend a visit" www.rhdr.org.uk " I think the locomotive on the front cover is "The Southern Maid" check it out and see what you think, also at a guess I think the film was probally made in the summer of 1977 well I hope you find it of interest I certainly did, it would be a nice place to visit.

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 26, 2007 09:08 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting Graham,

My Walton RH&D film sounds very different from this, beyond being Black and White. This print actually sounds a lot more like "Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Golden Jubilee" which Derann still sells. "Jubilee" starts with "The Bug" pulling the special train to commemorate her return to service, and progresses through showing the armored train, the Laurel and Hardy visit and then present day (the 1970s) with George Barlow at the throttle of "Green Goddess".

A nice moment is the interior of the gift shop showing a neat stack of Super-8 Kodachrome cartridges up on the shelf. (Ah! Those were the days!)

When I do get to the UK, this is a spot I really have to visit. Along with the rest of the list, I think I'd better stay there a while.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2007 10:01 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys have certainly conjoured up some memories.

When I was 10 years old, my parents took me and my younger brother, then 5, on a fortnight's holiday to a holiday camp at Littlestone. It was like a mini Butlins, but in those days it was probably more than our parents could afford. The RH&D ran right past the camp and there was a small station especially built to serve the 'campers'.

We loved every minute of it, and as a special treat, our Dad had arranged for us to have a short ride on the footplate. I can remember it all as if it were only yesterday.

Though the thought of 2 weeks at Butlins fills me with horror today, way back then it was almost a way of life, and I have to say that whatever the difficulties and the hardship my parents endured, we ALWAYS had a holiday every year.

I too must get a copy of that film, and re-visit that little railway again soon.

Thanks for the memories,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC