8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Sorcerer’s Apprentice (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 24, 2018 11:45 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been associated with the most recent re-release of this on bluray, but I'm skocked that Deems taylor has been taken out of it, (just to put some other modern person in?)

The re-writing of history? That really is a shame.

Although I would certainly love to see the grain on these classic pieces of animation, I'm sure that Disney himself, if he had survived to this day, would no doubt say that he would love for each and every beautiful nuance and color and line of the cels, was reproduced completely in the finished work and in some regards, that has happened, (with, for instance, the bluray of "Snow White") ...

as a wanna be animator myself, (well, only one little pencil animated short ... still have all the original artwork), I can understand wanting it to be seen as great and pure as possible.

... but with the grain gone, in some ways, the history is gone. That element that places it within it's own time period.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2018 04:31 PM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I re-recorded all available segments of FANTASIA from Derann and WDHM with a booming stereo sound from the DVD. BALD MOUNTAIN is more spectacular now...
I only can’t find a stereo recording used for CLAIRE LUNE: does someone of You know where I could get this version to enhance my Derann jewel?

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2018 06:30 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar, I'd suspect that Clair de Lune was never re-recorded as were the other segments, since it was deleted from Fantasia early on and would then have been treated as standard-issue mono. So presumably a stereo version wouldn't exist.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2018 04:38 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Walt Disney Sorcerers Apprentice on Super 8, still in the original box and with the plastic sleeve, but I also have a 9.5mm sound film titled The Wizards Apprentice T9307, not Disney's version and B/W, but the same theme.
Couldn't find it listed on the Pathescope catalogue 1955 first edition, so must be a later release.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2018 12:57 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one is from 1930,made by William Cameron Menzies.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2018 02:00 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that's correct and it apparently was the inspiration for the Disney release of 'The Sorcerers Apprentice' and 'The Wizards Apprentice ' was the first film and was released in 1930.

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2018 10:34 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The music for Claire de Lune may be on a Disney vinyl LP issued during the 50s or 60s. Disney may have done this even though the segment wasn't used in Fantasia. The LP may have no reference to Fantasia. Some research is required. If such an LP exists, it may be hard to find. I'll do some research on my own. If I find any info, I'll let you know.

UPDATE!!!
The Fantasia Anthology DVD box set has Clair de Lune in its entirety on disc 3. A Fantasound restoration was done for this.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 29, 2018 11:17 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool to hear! I have that super 8 reel. I think it runs about 4 or 5 minutes. A very dream-like piece and thankfully, on low fade film stock. The source material wasn't pristine but hey, who's complaining? Not me! [Smile]

--------------------

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2018 04:34 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William
Thank You very much!
I will look for it and keep You posted

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2018 07:43 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh derp! Double derp!

< red faced >

I have this.

So. Anyone who wants this, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a file of the stereo Clair de Lune soundtrack from this DVD. You'll just need to specify if you want it at the DVD sample rate (48KHz) or converted to CD sample rate (44.1Khz).

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 26, 2018 11:47 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to say that I think that this was the best "box" for any of the WDHM original releases! Very nice!

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC