8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » MICKEY & HIS PALS! DISNEY 400FT.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MICKEY & HIS PALS! DISNEY 400FT.
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 29, 2007 06:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a gem from the vintage era from Disney, when they released thier own Super 8mm product and was, in fact, one of the later releases.

It's entitled, "Mickey & His pal's" and was a collection of the golden era of the 1930's. There was a whole series of cartoons starring Mickey, Donald and Goofy and this is a prize collection of these cartoons ...

Starting with the first : Lonesome Ghosts. This was my personal favorite of the whole series, in which the trio are "Ghostbusters" who recieve a call from some rather naughty ghosts out for a bit of fun, but the trio get the best of them in the end.

The second, "Clock Cleaners" is regarded by most to be the best of the series, in which the trio, well, clean clocks. There is the priceless scene (included here) with Donald and an annoying spring. Mickey ends up saving a stunned Goofy from falling, (great perspective shots thru-out this cartoon!) and they all end up rather "shook up".

The third, "Boat Builders", is a lesser effort, but still very well done. (I've always thought that Donald's war with the rudder, with Mickey up above, was borrowed from the Laurel and hardy classic, "Towed in the Hole") It has some incredible animation of a boat falling apart that is quite excellent.

The fourth is the real prize of this collection, "Whale Hunters". I have checked every catalog, (including Derann) and have found that THIS is the only spot this cartoon is found on Super 8mm. They hunt a whale, pure and simple. It's my feeling that they based the design of "Monstro the Whale" (from Pinnochio), on this whale. The colors are wonderfully textured in this cartoon, which takes place in the frozen North. This excerpt is only 3 and a half minutes long, (as the others, except Hawaiian Holiday, are), and one wishes it was longer, as it is so rare.

The last cartoon on this reel almost feels like an afterthought, as it is "Hawaian Holiday". It is only a minute and a half in length and just feels like an ending to the reel, but it does have Minnie Mouse in it as well as Pluto. This reel has a beginning and ending credit which is made to look like a scrapbook, with a picture of the trio walking together, (with a rather un-appealing Mickey drawing; personal thought.)

This reel is a "reel" curiousity. My copy of it is actually the Spanish language version. The strange thing is that most of the soundtrack is not in spanish, (as almost all the dialogue in this is mostly Donald, and so they rarely translate Donald). In one of the cases, they used an american print with spanish subtitles, (english soundtrack) on the film.

The print quality is the average excellence that we have become used to with the Disney releases back then. The sharpness is nearly as good as anything out there, (with the slightly better quality of the Disney Derann's of today). The only downside is that this was printed on the dreaded eastman stock of the early 1980's, which leads to the color.

COLOR

Fortunately, the color on my print is near excellent, with just the slightest turn of color to the blacks. The color pallette on these 1930's cartoons was always excellent. Color hadn't been taken for granted as of yet, and Disney took full advantage of it. As long as you have a good print, your color will look stunning.

CONTRAST

Excellent as always with these Disney prints, but then, Disney was using thier own source materials, so the prints were bound to be top-notch.

SOUND

Sound is mono. My print is the spanish version, (didn't know that when I was buying the silly thing!), but the sound that is there is the very good loud sound with excellent high's and lows.

A top notch Disney release. Though you can find full length prints of these cartoons these days, the inclusion of "Whale Hunters" makes this very collectible. A good edition to your collection.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 22, 2008 08:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just updating this review. I just got from Barry Atwood,

(buy from Barry ... Buy from Barry) -shameless subliminal plug!

... a print of this 400ft release, and it's a stunning Agfa print of this title by Buck film labs, and the colour is totally unfaded after all these years. magnificent, and it's the english version ... yay!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC