8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » New York, New York.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New York, New York.
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 15, 2008 08:10 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1977
This is one of those 400ft reels I have seen offered many times over at Cine events but never took the plunge a purchased it for some reason.

One of the Derann releases of many moons ago when 8mm films came in beautiful packaging and a real bonus for any collection, New York, New York is a delightful 400ft reel which tells the story of two supposedly young people. Liza Minnelli and Rob De Niro star in this baby which features some good acting and musical numbers, notably the title theme.

Liza plays Francine Evans a singer and Rob a very talented Sax player hitting the right notes with Liza as a relationship blossoms and the story builds. In time they get together and the band soon hit the high notes and success. As with all things entertainment problems soon arise, and having had the success of Liza singing and the band being a big hit they drift into a turbulent relationship. The film ends on the hit song New York, New York and Liza performs it superbly in possibly her final singing screen success. I have always been a fan of Liza and good old Rob so this is a welcome addition to my collection and possibly yours.

Around this time Derann were releasing a good number of these UA & Warner classics in two parts, so another part of this in self contained form may have also been offered. But this reel on its own stands up very well and is very watchable again and again, perhaps as a little intro to Wizard of Oz?

The print quality is very good and the colour has held up well on my vintage used print. Sound quality is crisp and clear, and with a spool nearly full it’s a good running time in the order of 18 minutes approximately. I purchased this for just a few pounds via the trust to luck ebay so for once it was well worth taking a chance.

Print A Sound A
 -

|  IP: Logged

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2008 06:17 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee,

Good Reveiw on this one. We took a leap of faith and purchased the Feature from Italy. Color and clarity is no where near the Derann Release, but we really wanted the WHOLE big apple. We remixed the Main Stripe (as thats all there is on the print) and now the sound makes up for the only fair picture quality. If you are a fan of this Scorcese classic the feature turns up on Italian lists every so often.

LA

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 28, 2015 05:33 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, i just recently won a copy of this from ebay, it was a tenner, i assumed i took a chance but was very happy to that as well as the original box the film is in first class shape with great colours, no fade and top class sound. it is an excellent 400 footer. A1

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2015 09:50 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann did a decent job in this digest and didn't waste a second of the 18 minute running time. My only problem with the digest is the end of the title number cuts away for the ending credits (with the song still running). The shot of DeNiro walking down the street while Minnelli is still singing gives the impression that he walked out on her performance.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 15, 2015 01:27 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats true.i wonder why it didnt get the 2x400 treatment like all the others

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 16, 2015 07:11 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you our Tom. Yes its one of those nice 400ftrs which is a pleasure to view.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC