8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » TREASURE ISLAND!! (Orson Welles) 1972 IFS Release

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TREASURE ISLAND!! (Orson Welles) 1972 IFS Release
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 19, 2008 08:44 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always had a guilty pleasure for Orson Welles, as well as a sucker for the story "Treasure Island", having been nurtured on the 1950's cutesy Disney version. First off, I was surprised when I heard about this version, and more surprised when I heard that Orson Welles was playing Long John Silver!

The story is as follows ...

A man comes to the "Benbow Inn", (owned by the young master Jim Hawkins and his mother) by name of Billy Bones, Captian Billy Bones, a loud gruff indivisual. He gets a visit from a "gentleman" by name of Blind Pew. Billy Bones is given the dreaded "black spot". Soon Billy Bones is dead.

But he leaves a map behind, a map to treasure upon a certian Island. The young man Jim Hawkins takes the map and goes to
local nobleman and doctors who decifer that this is a famous map, and soon they have secured a ship for passage there. They need a crew and soon have a dubious lot headed by the ships cook Long John Silver, (Orson Welles), a large aging seaman with many a story to tell. he takes an instant liking to Jim Hawkins.

Upon arriving at the Island, the mutiny is under way and the good captian and those faithful (ships doctor, ect.) escape, soon making camp in a fort on the Island. The pirates take the ship.

On his wanderings on the Island, Jim meets up with slightly mad
Ben Gunn (I might be wrong about the name), who has been marooned on the Island. He knows where the treasure is.

The pirates try to take out the fort to no avail. The pirates
also get ahold of Jim hawkins, but Long John protects him.

The pirates go on the hunt for the treasure, but soon find that it has already been dug up, (by Ben Gunn). The good guys have the ship back, and are taking Long John Silver back for justice, but Long John escapes.

My short version of the story doesn't do it justice. This is a great swashbuckling film. Orson Welles actually wrote the screenplay for this version of the Robert Louis Stevenson classic, and is no doubt the main reason for this version being as good as it is, as well as how true it is to the characters, (Ben Gunn, for instance is quite like he is in the book). Though Orson doesn't direct this film, you can see a lot of his influence in the composition of shots as well as the editing of the action scenes.

I have read much criticism of this film, but I find the acting to be quite good, considering that this was a international production, which tend to have very messed up acting. That, and if you are seeing a foreign film with dubious dubbing, that takes away from the film. This film had seven different international directors, and thusly, seven different languages.

Orson no doubt relished the chance to play a character that he had admired over the years and he does a fine job and I personally think that, (apart from his last great masterpiece, Chimes At Midnight) this was one of his last really good acting roles, as he wouldn't star in many other films.

Now, onto the print.

I recieved this print from Derann a short while ago. It is an original IFS super 8 print, on 5X400ft reels, and it appears to have had either only one owner or no owners and was a leftover print from somewhere, as the first reels box has the original "cover slip" on it and has no wear and perfect color, (Love to do a photo of this for ya!).

The color has faded slightly. It still has all the greens and blues but the faces are slightly red, but considering when this print was manufactured, it is in immaculate shape. The color loss is quite passable and is quite common for this kind of Eastman color stock, (far better than the dreaded "pinky" Eastman)

The sharpness is absolutely great. I have seen screen shots of 16MM of this same film, and it is literally the same.

Contrast is fine, though could be better, only slightly dupey in this matter. Blacks are pure however. (well pure, but a little warmed, but certianly passable)

One of the great pluss's of this print, is that it is in the adapted scope of it's release. (The 16MM prints of this title are in the same adapted scope), but the print is so sharp that the adapted scope is not a drawback to the enjoyment.

Those who love Orson Welles, really ought to give this version of Treasure Island a good look.

Long Live Super 8MM!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 19, 2008 11:11 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Really nice review. One question.....I always thought a guilty pleasure was something that one would be embarrassed if others found out. What's so shameful about having a soft spot for Welles?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 19, 2008 11:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
None at all really.

We are quite lucky to have so many of Welles films on Super 8mm.

The ones I know of are :

Citizen Kane

MacBeth (original theatrical release version)

Treasure Island

The lady from Shanghai (This is a rumor, but I've heard it's a full length release)

The Stranger (Only seen one feature of this pop up)

any others?

--------------------

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2008 04:29 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Don't forget the British produced classic "The Third Man", also starring Joseph Cotton, there's some nice 8mm prints about.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 22, 2008 04:53 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your right Barry, Steve Osbourne had a print of that a little while back which I just missed getting.

I would be curious to see or buy a print of "MacBeth". I understand that it was released as a 4X400ft release, and the original feature was approx. 95 minutes, (theatrically, the extended cut on laserdisc was 110 minutes, quite a nice view), so this would be a slight cutdown.

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2008 03:13 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
British companies like Mountain,Portland and Heritage (I would sometime like to learn about the possible connection among them), issued a smaller number of complete copies of their releases, and then released the films in uniformly 4x400 versions.Thus KING KONG,MACBETH and others are often found in 4 x 400 and at low prices but rarely in complete versions.Complete color films are even rarer as those were also issued in b&w 4x400.Try to find complete color copies of RUN OF THE ARROW and THE LAST COMMAND,for example.
Osi
Add FORCE OF EVIL (early Derann) and THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS ("from America") to Orson Welles in 8mm.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2008 11:23 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walton's 4x400ft release of "Ferry to Hong Kong" should also be added to the list. It's not one of Orson's best though.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 15, 2008 10:43 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to find one of those rare "Touch of Evil" prints, even if it is the "bastardized" edit, (which Orson didn't desire) and that print of "The Stranger"

... oh, and a print of "MacBeth" even if it is only a 4X400ft which would cut out ten minutes out of an already incomplete 92 minutes.

Except for those complete prints of Citizen Kane, I think "Treasure Island" and "The Stranger" (from what I've heard) is one of the few Orson Welles films that hasn't been edited down for super 8 release.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC