8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Xanadu 2x400 ft. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Xanadu 2x400 ft.
Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2010 12:46 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"It's as if 'Devil Woman' had never been written!"

|  IP: Logged

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2010 03:35 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marshall, you got it, just music would have been best in these (Blues as well) digests.

How about The Rose without the title song!

Mad Mad Mad Mad World does not have my favourite scenes either, yet they are on the clamshell cover!!!

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2010 04:43 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Suddenly was left out because the acompanying visuals were thought to be weaker than others like "whenever you're away from me", Suddenly played during the 'inspiration studio' sequence, right? I don't have this film yet, but tell me the animated 'don't walk away' portion made it.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2010 08:40 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Damien, I'm sorry to say, that great song "Don't Walk Away", is nowhere to be found in this digest!

Marshall, I SO agree with you. As I mentioned in the review, this 2 x 400 foot digest could have REALLY benefitted from a tight editing job, that included as many of the hits as possible. WAY too much time is spent on the opening credits, before the song "I'm Alive" even begins! Then, too much time is spent of the "grand opening of club Xanadu" scene near the end. Of course, some of that scene would have been o.k., like the song "Xanadu". But all those other songs and dances and costume changes could have (and SHOULD have) been left out.

I also agree with you guys about "Magic" being under-used in the full-feature. I believe it was actually the biggest hit song from the movie.

PS- "Magic" is heard in the digest at the end, when "Swan" meets the waitress, ONJ.

James.

[ March 02, 2010, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: James N. Savage 3 ]

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2010 05:39 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.........speaking of musical digests, was You Can't Stop The Music ever released? If it was I am sure the digest would have been better than the feature!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 28, 2010 10:43 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

Derann sells a 400' scope/color "Can't Stop the Music" promo. I've heard good things about this print.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2010 07:18 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Doug, I think I can recall seeing that promo on TV or at the movies.

I don't think I need to collect any more catalogs; I just need to ask you!

David

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 09, 2011 12:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't hear it mentioned so I'd have to assume that it wasn't included in the digest, but I felt one of the best parts of this movie was "Whenever Your Away From Me', just because Gene Kelly would dance on screen for the last time (apart from those "tribute to the movies" styled films). he wasn't making the big moves like he did in the 40's and 50's, but he was still oh so smooth on his feet and it was a very nice film taken in total.

But actually, I have lately had a dream of actually finding the optical feature of this, as I would edit out a little of the film ...

The parts?

Believe it or not, the "All Over the World" number, with those idiot "punk" charafcters popping in and out in the scene. For me, it really takes away from the film and I even story boarded the whole scene, still including the Gene Kelly bits from that scene, but using some "exploding" neaon, reminiscent of the era, much in the style of the colorful "Windows Media" images you get with that program. There is even a neat little bit where I have a "neon Kelly" dancing on both sides of Gene, doing the same moves that he does. It would be awesome.

Absolute low point of the film?

After the first version the complete Xanadu, the 'Nymphs" then break into a rediculous section of different styled numbered, starting with a moronic tap dancing bit, which then morphs into a rock-n-roll idiocy and then, (gag!) a country bit! I would edit the very end of the first part of "Xanadu" to that reprise of the same tune, right before the NYmph's take off, thereby getting a nice flow to that section.

The film would be perhaps three or so minutes shorter, but that would certainly improve the film for one OSI!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael Hyde
Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2011 03:02 PM      Profile for Michael Hyde   Email Michael Hyde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ossie, As i mentioed back in this post Feb last year ,i was lucky enough to buy an optical print from Derek Simmonds own personnal collection,had this print over twenty years,and still as good as the day i bought it,even tho it cost a fortune back then,and around ten yers ago found it on 16mm from paul foster films.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2011 12:11 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we have to remember that with this digest and the Blues Brothers digest being essentially the last gasp of Universal 8 (with video already rearing its head by this point), I'm sure whoever was assigned the job of editing these last two digests was more concerned about "gettin' it done" rather than any semblance of creative editing. As a case in point, I have the Blues Brothers "2x300-foot" digest, and the opening credits are comprised of choppy jump cuts that are extremely noticeable in the background action and the music -- one of the indications of a "rush job." Also, the digest is comprised of rather lengthy scenes, mostly of the endless car chases that quickly grow tiresome (even in the feature), rather than any of the awesome musical numbers -- again another indication of a "quickly-get-it-done" mentality.

By this point in 1980/1981, the handwriting was on the wall for Super 8 digests, and the editing on this particular digest smacks of quickly getting an editing job done (rather than any careful, deliberate, creative editing job).

Of course, the heyday was probably over before then, given companies were issuing things like "Disco Beaver From Outer Space" and, dear God, "Grease 2"!!

[ July 10, 2011, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: John Hourigan ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 11, 2011 01:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As well as "Police Academy 2"!

So many films that could have been released as a 2X600ft, and they had to release "Police Academy 2", (not Universal, however).

One thing seems to be apparent in that Xanadu digest ...

Whoever did it must not have been a fan of Olivia, as the only big songs given full time appear to be "I'M Alive", "All Over the World" and, "Xanadu" which all happen to be ... ELO tunes! (Though Oliva sings Xanadu with Lynne providing the back-up vocals).

Therefore, it appears that this editor was a closet ELO fan!

I say closet as ELO was largely panned by the "music critics" of thier day, (though they hold a record of more top twenty hits than any other group of the 70's) and from what I've read, it just wasn't too "cool" to be an open ELO fan.

As for me, I'm nuts about them!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2011 05:56 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blues Brothers and Xanadu probably suffer as the digests were made too close to their release in theatres. We have grown to love and admire certain scenes over the years with endless cinema re-runs, VHS, DVD & TV viewings.

Remember Blues Brothers failed initially at the box - office, yet later in the 80's it had a lateshow run of over 10 years at a local cinema here.

To us now it seems obvious that the music is what we love about these films, yet the editors were probably trying their hardest to tell the story.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 28, 2017 01:59 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A more recent thread about this title may be found here.

To avoid confusion I'll close this one.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC