8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Patton

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Patton
Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 11, 2008 01:17 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Excellent cutdown marred only by a rushed ending.

Ken Films’ numerous Super 8mm digests certainly ran the quality gamut from superb to substandard, but they did an outstanding job of editing director Franklin J. Schaffner’s 170 minute epic biography down to approximately 17 minutes.
The brief opening titles are allowed to fully fade in & out (except for the “color by deluxe”) and we begin in North Africa,1943, where General Omar Bradley (Karl Malden) announces he’s bringing in Gen. George S. Patton, Jr. (“Up against Rommel we need the best tank man we’ve got!”) to take command of the American forces who have suffered loss after loss. We first meet Patton (George C. Scott) in a field hospital where he instructs the doctor to remove the soldiers with self inflicted wounds and cautions him that battle fatigue is an excuse that will not be tolerated.
Later, Patton is bemoaning the lack of air cover for his troops and the Air Vice-Marshal assures him that he “will see no more German planes.” Cue the strafing attack by two German aircraft. Patton runs outside, dares the planes to shoot him in the nose, and fires at them with his pistol.
That evening he is woken up (with a copy of Rommel’s “The Tank in Attack” by his bedside) and told that a message has been intercepted that Rommel will soon attack at El Qatar. The allies lie in wait for the German army to arrive. The impressive battle sequence is shown almost in its entirety until the Ken Films narrator informs us that Patton has turned the tide of the war. The scene ends with Patton’s line "Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book."
Back in another field hospital, Patton shows compassion while talking to wounded soldiers but loses control when he meets a soldier who says his nerves are shot. Patton slaps him and demands that the “coward” be taken back to the front.
In the next scene, Patton is told that General Bradley has been given the top American command of the invasion of Normandy, something Patton desperately wanted for himself. It’s implied that Patton’s slapping of the soldier was a factor in the decision and Patton says wistfully “I wish I kissed the SOB.” Fade out.

Ken wisely did not try to cram the entire timeline of the film into their digest. Left out are Patton’s conflicts with British General Montgomery, his taking command of the US Third Army and his drive into Germany. Scott’s magnificent performance (he won the academy award but refused to accept it) still shines, even with the abbreviated running time.
"Patton" was part of the first group of 20th Century Fox titles released by Ken in December of 1974. I’ve heard of washed out prints of this title, but my print has good contrast, sharpness and luckily, good color. The 200’ version is also well edited, retaining the highlights. Scenes consist of a choppy title sequence, Bradley talking about Patton, the plane attack, being told of the intercepted message, defeating Rommel, slapping the soldier, losing the command, abrupt cut to the stock Ken “The End” title. All that in 8 minutes. Print quality is also good (a little grainy) on this version.
Included in the 200 footer's box was this notice:

-

I don’t have the Patton Speech (Ken #F12A) so I can’t review the quality, but I’m sure splicing it to the head of the 400’ version would make a great 24 minute digest.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 11, 2008 02:24 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great review Doug!,

Great film too.

Patton was a general from his helmet to his boots, and crazy as a bedbug as well.

I'm glad he was on our side in WW2, and more than doubly glad I'm not related to him.

Further proof that Great Men and Nice Men aren't always standing in the same pairs of shoes.

-as if we needed any.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 11, 2008 04:28 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug
Excellent review, I dont think any other actor could have done this role. George C Scott I understand was not that keen on Patton, the 200 footer of his opening speech would be a great add on or stand alone short.

Graham.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 11, 2008 05:06 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great review of a great movie Doug. Scott was one of the Worlds great actors, I particularly liked him in 'The Hustler' and the TV version of 'A Christmas Carol'.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 13, 2008 09:49 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Paul, George C Scott's Christmas Carol is the definitive version for me.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2008 09:42 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite "Carol" was the Finney version prior to seeing Scott in it back in 1982 or '83 when it first aired. Now, if we could only get a S-8 print of that or even a nice cut-down. How 'bout it Derann? I also remember reading that Scott's "Carol" played theatrically in England. Any "mates" care to confirm this?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 10, 2008 03:18 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally picked up the "Patton's Speech" 200' release from Ken Films. Ken used the same box as the 200' digest, putting white labels on the front and top panel that read "Opening Speech Only".
The film contains the entire speech starting with a fade in to the flag and ends with a fade out where just the very beginning of the title music can be heard. My print is a bit warm (the white stripes on the flag still look white) and there is a bit of optical jitter that is more noticeable on the wide shot than the close-ups. Ken did not put any opening titles, but they did use their standard "The End" at the tail. The box is numbered F12 (same as the digest) though their catalog lists it at F12A.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC