8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Elephant Never Forgets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Elephant Never Forgets
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2008 02:26 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a superb black & white British Transport Film; it covers the last week of trams in London before they were withdrawn for good. Fantastic tear-jerker really, especially when they burn the disused trams. I got my copy brand new from Derann...well worth every penny and very repeatable! Get yours now!

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 01, 2008 03:44 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon,

What's the running time of the film?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2008 01:57 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a full 200ft film. One of the best around!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 02, 2008 04:32 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my last show when I ran FARMING MOVING SOUTH I invited an ex-BTF cameraman who lives nearby to come along. He had done part of the filming on this title.

He gave a short talk and also mentioned THE ELEPHANT WILL NEVER FORGET on which he had worked. (We had shown this some months previously). He said that the "Bosses" didn't think much of a suggestion to film the last London tram, but they all went out and did it anyway!

They produced what was one of BTFs most requested films from their library. I know that because the cameraman's wife who also came to the show used to work on the library's bookings.

--------------------
Maurice

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 02, 2008 06:18 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Camerapeople always know best. Just ask us. [Wink]

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jonathan Sanders
Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2008 11:31 AM      Profile for Jonathan Sanders   Email Jonathan Sanders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I started my film degree course at Warwick University in 1979, this was one of the first films we were shown as an example of great film-making. In fact, our tutor, the intellectual film critic V.F. Perkins, who generally despised British cinema, said he thought it one of the very few good films ever made in this country!

Incidentally, the title of this film is sometimes confused in the UK with the 1939 Hal Roach comedy ZENOBIA - which was released over here (in cinemas and on 8mm) as ELEPHANTS NEVER FORGET!

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2008 01:57 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How wierd Jonathan! In my 16 mm archive I have a promotional film advertising Warwick Uni...very well-made and gives a really good insight into the place!

Jonathan Sanders
Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2008 06:46 AM      Profile for Jonathan Sanders   Email Jonathan Sanders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's quite a coincidence, Simon. If the promo film was made in-house around the time I was at Warwick, I'd expect the names of Peter Bowen and/or Derek Pope (who ran the AV Dept.) to be credited on the film.

For a real insight of Warwick University around that time, though, one has to see Andrew Davies' 1986 satirical BBC series A VERY PECULIAR PRACTICE, based on his life as a lecturer there!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC