8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Ukulele Man

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ukulele Man
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 03, 2008 02:57 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"UKULELE MAN" RELEASED BY DERANN 200' B/W.

Three songs crammed on a 200' spool sung by George Formby. These have been taken from the 1935 feature "Off The Dole."

George sings "If You Don't Want The Goods, Don't Maul 'Em", "Home By Nine O'Clock", "With My Little Ukulele In My Hand." Also featuring Dan Young (The Dude Comedian) and George's wife Beryl.

Sound is excellent but the picture is a bit grainy and contrasty. The film was, I believe, in the Derann lists some twenty-five years ago. My copy recently came from Independent 8 in its original box.

It's interesting to note that Uncle Derek made a mistake in his spelling. On both the film's main title and the box cover George's musical instrument is spelt "Ukelele."

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 17, 2017 03:08 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also obtained this short recently and agree that sadly the image for a derann film is quite poor. Too bright in contrast giving a very dupy look and not very sharp. Quite dissapointing. Still looking out for the 200ft short george formby souvinier.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2017 03:41 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought the song was 'If you don't want the goods don't muck 'em about - 'cos if you don't want 'em other people do'.
Or is that an Eastenders version?

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2017 06:43 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been lucky here in New Zealand to own 4 Super 8mm George Formby films and have 2 of the George Formby souvenir because one has a jumpy / bouncy picture but I didn't want to throw it out as it's still watchable.
I have ...
George Formby on the beat music clip b/w sound 1940
George Formby souvenir music clips b/w sound 8mins 200ft 1930/40's
George Formby souvenir music clips b/w sound 8mins jumpy picture 200ft 1930/40's
George Formby no limits b/w sound 400ft 1935
George Formby the man with the golden uke b/w sound 200ft 1930/40's

And they are great :-)

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 18, 2017 03:29 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think ive been unlucky with my two George formbys. The other is a 400 version of ask a policeman. Again sound is fine focus is good but it is quite poor in contrast giving it a dark look [Frown]

[ June 18, 2017, 06:49 AM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC