8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Weathered Melody

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Weathered Melody
Robin Moss
Junior

- posted June 10, 2008 04:54 PM      Profile for Robin Moss   Email Robin Moss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Produced in Germany in 1940 under the title of 'Die Verwitterte Melodie', AG Colour, Film from FischerKosen. Music by Lothar Bruhne. Idea from Horst Von Mollendorff.

A beautifully crafted cartoon following a bee as it collects nectar in a field of wild flowers.

On it's travels the bee encounters an old abandoned wind-up gramaphone with a record in place, which has been open to the elements for some time. The needle arm of the gramaphone lying broken to one side

The inquisitive bee decides to investigate and whilst hovering over the record the bee's stinger soon clogs up with dust as it emulates the action of the gramaphone needle. A furry caterpillar who has been lying dormant until now reveals himself from a coiled leaf in the centre of the record and proceeds to clean the dirt from the grooves of the record. The bee then resumes his musical exploits and all the insects and small animals in earshot join in and dance to the delightful music played.

I bought this film in Super 8 colour sound format from Larry Pearce, some years ago and I liked it so much that I bought a second copy as a reserve from Paul Foster.

Larry told me at the time that it was produced, Disney was barred from Germany as it was deemed to be propoganda. Hitler's regime ordered that a German alternative be made, of which this is one. However, the cartoon contains no reference to the sinister regime that it eminated from and to me each time I view it, it contains a freshness and inventiveness that keeps me coming back for more.

I have no idea who released this film on Super 8, but it looks as though copies were salvaged in the nick of time, as the first few feet you can clearly see the signs of the decomposing negative around the outer edges. This part of the cartoon also has a pinkish hue, but a minute into the film these faults are banished and whilst the colour cannot be described as vibrant, it is sufficiently evident.

The length of the film is slightly over 200 feet and I have yet to see an original box. I also do not know what film stock is used, as I could not detect any indication on the film.

I am not a cartoon buff, but when this short masterpiece is screened, I am enthralled.

Print B. Sound A.

Robin

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 10, 2008 05:34 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robin,

Thanks for a terrific review. For those who can't wait till they get a print, this great cartoon can be seen on you tube.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 10, 2008 07:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice little review, I wouldn't mind seeing this cartoon as well!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2008 01:15 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robin,

I believe Phil Sheard of CHC brought this out, and I believe it's still in his catalogue.

Robin Moss
Junior

- posted June 11, 2008 03:07 PM      Profile for Robin Moss   Email Robin Moss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

thanks for the nice compliments re review. If Phil Sheard has released this classic on Super 8, it's well worth enquiring about. It's so different from the run of the mill cartoons, with real original charm.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 11, 2008 04:21 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Originally it was a Perry's release. Got that from the horses mouth.....ummm, sorry Ian told me that it was one of his back in the good old days.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 25, 2012 03:51 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to review this one myself, but Robin beat me to it by a year (...or four!).

It's a remarkable film: obviously produced by some sort of multi-plane camera system. The effect of the bee circling the old phonograph is wonderful.

The shame of it is as Robin says the first minute is kind of washed out looking. My print also has random pops and clicks in it that sound disturbingly like an audio system on its way to a meltdown. Every time I see it I have to remind myself of this.

My print is (probably) kind of an accidental souvenir of Cinesea last Fall. Steve Osborne sent Doug Meltzer a big reel of sample films and "Weatherbeaten Melody" was about mid-way through. I liked it so much that a few weeks later I e-mailed Steve and asked about it. He said he had it new but had one used in nice shape. I bought that one and when it showed up it had ends of two other films spliced on the head and tail like it had been cut out of a reel.

-Odds are the print I have is the same one on screen in Wildwood last October.

Hans Fischerkoesen also animated "Der Schneemann", which is a cartoon about a snowman who hides away in a freezer so he can experience Summer: also a great cartoon.

Der Schneemann

-Id love to have this on film too!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Ben White
Junior

- posted June 01, 2012 05:43 PM      Profile for Ben White   Email Ben White   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A totally, utterly fantastic piece of animation / filming....

--------------------
Ben White
Amateur Film Enthusiast
United Kingdom

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC