8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » TRAILER REELS (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: TRAILER REELS
James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2008 03:50 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a brief comment first. I thought it would be a good idea to have a "trailer reel" section under "reviews". There have been so many varieties of trailer reels released on super 8 since the 1970's. Due to multiple titles on a reel, this seems to be the most practical way to review them.

I'll start the thread off with the following reel:

"Steven Spielburg Trailer Reel"
400 feet, released by L.A. Films, 1983. (OUT-OF-PRINT)

1.- "Jaws"- nice long trailer, letterboxed, quite a bit of negative lines in the beginning, but improves.

2.- "1941"- a good medium-length, letterboxed, fast paced trailer. All stars are named, 1941 theme plays in backround. Nice, clean print.

3.- "Raiders of the Lost Ark"- a little negative wear & a splice near the beginning. An excellent trailer, done in traditional style of the early 80's. William's score played throughout the trailer.

4.- "Poltergiest"- lots of action. A little shorter than others, but very well edited. Very nice print.

5. - "E.T."- (my personal favorite)- this long trailer starts out with action clips from other Spielburg hits- Close Encounters, Jaws, Raiders, then fades out. Then John William's beautiful score keys in, as the narrator explains that this is a new kind of movie. Then, a montage of scenes, all backed by the score. A perfect print.

While quality varies a little on each trailer due to the condition of each negative, the entire reel stays consistantly sharp, with a very strong, perfect sound track. Printed on Kodak low fade stock, and colors are still as good as new.

I commend Mr. Arpin on the care and selection he put into this release, as well as his other reels.

James.

P.S.- I'll try to get some screen shots up soon.

|  IP: Logged

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2008 09:44 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you James for taking the time to write the review and your kind remarks.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 20, 2008 09:49 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry, do you still have the negative for this trailer reel release of yours?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2008 10:06 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything is gone now. It's a long story.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 20, 2008 10:22 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James
A great idea here are a few more some I have not seen in a while so will have to rely on my old memory [Roll Eyes]

1..Waterworld 1995 Kevin Costner good trl of the movie nice sharp print..A sound..A

2..Braveheart 1995 Mel Gibson dealing it out with those nasty English [Wink] another good one nice print and sound.

3..Titanic 1997 I have this in both Flat and Scope both are very good quality the Scope print is a stunning sharp print excellent sound and with a lenghty running time as well highly recomend this one.

4...Peter Pan 2003 Scope, this is the live action version very good nice colour print.. A sound..B

5..Castaway 2000 Tom Hanks another good one decent running time print..A sound A

6..Song Of The South "Disney" 1946 colour James Basket and Bobby Driscoll one of my favourite trls its timeless, very good picture and sound.

7...Mutiny on the Bounty 1962 and Doctor Zhivago both Scope trls came on one reel. I think they are Kempski excellent sharp prints I would give picture A sound B the Bounty trl is quite long and has nice colour.

8... 2001 A Space Odyssey Kempski Scope now this is a "must have" excellent picture and sound generous running time great for starting any Scope programme, highly recomend it. [Smile]

9.."Battle Of Britain" Scope well not happy with this one the problem is framing you cant get the lettering in frame without constant moving the framing knob up or down picture looks good as with the sound... but that framing [Frown]

10..."Stars Wars Trilogy" Scope trying to remember this one, I think it starts of with you looking at a TV set saying if you have only seen Star Wars on TV you aint seen nothing till you see again on this, the big screen "switch to the Scope" well words to that effect [Smile] , very effective change over, again an excellent trl to introduce your Scope film programme, very good picture and sound.

11... Dinosaur trl is OK but I would go for the Dinosaur Promo its longer and well done if I remember right the only fault was a very visible negative splice which should have been removed apart from that good pictue and sound.

12.. Oliver 1968 Scope this trl is very good length wise, its well done and looks good, the down side is the poor sound quality this is one that needs to be re-recorded from a DVD.

13.. The Perefect Storm/ Pearl Harbour two on one reel Storm is very short, both trls have good picture and sound.

Well thats all I can think of at the moment, oh! both the original and the re-release Snow White trailers that came with the Derann feature are excellent.

Graham.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 21, 2008 10:04 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have very few trailer, (I really haven't gotten into trailers)
but one of my favorites was the original theatrical preview trailers for "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves".

In this, Walt Disney HIMSELF appears onscreen with seven little statuettes of the dwarves, describing each of them! It also gives some little glimpses of the Disney studio's in the 1930's and it's all in very good technicolor, (it's an AGFA print, I believe). I have it takes onto my Snow White feature (duh, eh?)

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2008 03:33 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Larry and everyone for contributing.

Here is my next 'trailer reel' review:

"COLOR HORROR TRAILER REEL" (actual title)
200 foot, released by Canturbury Films, U.S.A. (1980?)

1. "The Came From Within", a.k.a.- "Shivers"(UK)- 70's David Cronenburg classic about worm-like monsters that posses people. Classic narration, as words come on the screen, like, "Are you afraid of the dark", and scary scenes are shown. Very creepy & fun.

2. "Rabid"- another Cronenburg Canadian classic, starring Marilyn Chambers (adult movie actress). Lots of action, as people are catching rabies and attacking each other. Great creepy score is played. Trailer ends with the classic scene from the poster with the woman in the freezer. Cool trailer.

3. "Don't Look in the Basement"- Classic drive-in "B" movie trailer, MUCH better than the actual feature itself [Wink] . Plus, includes scenes from the imfamous "Last House On The Left" and those famous lines...."To avoid fainting, keep repeating ITS ONLY A MOVIE, ITS ONLY....."

4. "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things"- I had never even heard of this movie, but this was the wildest, craziest trailer I have ever seen. And at the same time is actually scary! A bunch of hippies are staying in the woods at night and zombies start popping up everywhere. This insane trailer has to be seen to be believed! But, warning- The movie is terrible. A big let-down. The trailer is MUCH MUCH better.

Each trailer runs about 2 minutes. This is a great reel, and I believe sold well when it was released, so there may be a fair number of prints around. Colors were very good, some fading has occurred, not too much. Great mono sound.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2008 06:58 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that reel was superb,I also used to have another Canterbury Trailer reel which featured HG LEWIS's THE WIZARD OF GORE in an extra long trailer-totally crazy!!!

The quality was excellent too.

I cant remember what the other trailers were on that reel,can anyone help??

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 23, 2008 12:22 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless someone does a review of it here before I do it, i have a trailer reel "combo" that Red Fox did of 16MM TV trailers for theatrical features.

I say "combo" as i combined the two and tossed out the ones I didn't want.

Some of the titles are "The Enforcer, Poseiden Adventure, Return of the Pink Panther, Land That Time Forgot, A Bridge Too Far" ect.

If someone knows the reels I'm talking about, give it a go.

I do know that the trailers have color but are slightly faded.

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2008 11:51 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark- I remember that one being advertised, although I never obtained one. I think there was one other trailer on that particular reel. I did have the reel with "10,000 Maniacs". I'll do a review after I watch it again (been a few years).

Osi- that sounds like a neat trailer reel. Looking forward to a review on that one. [Smile]

Here's my next review-

"CLASSIC SCOPE TRAILERS : NUMBER SIX"
released by Classic Home Cinemas (UK)

This nice little 200 foot trailer reel has two trailers on it-

1. "The Pit and the Pendulem"- Vincent Price stars in this gothic 1961 Roger Corman classic. Nice long trailer. A little neg damage is present, but in no way takes anything from this beautiful print. The colors are fantastic, even in the castle setting. Great vintage period piece! (MORE PLEASE!!)

2. "The Mummy Returns"- The 2001 sequel starring Brendon Fraser. This trailer is shorter than the above, and has the usual fast-pace editing of trailers of this era. Lots of nice action. Favorite scene- fight between the beautiful Patricia Velasquez and Rachel Weisz- all too quick though [Roll Eyes] . The colors on this one are nice, but lots of tan & yellows (due to the movie). Very nice action-packed trailer.

I highly recommend this trailer reel. The cinemascope effect is stunning on both trailers. The quality of both picture and sound is just excellent. Bonus: There are a couple of nice 'daters' mixed into the reel as well. Buy this before its gone!

James.

[ June 26, 2008, 06:06 AM: Message edited by: James N. Savage 3 ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 25, 2008 12:47 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, though it sounds weird, I'm having to place these trailers on another reel anyhow, so I'll do a review of these trialer is reverse!

"A Bridge too Far" nice trailer with very good focus, slight color fade.

"The Other Side of MIdnight" Interesting trailer with a nice constaly fading in/out images. Also good focus but slight color fade.

"All that Jazz" In like this one only because Robert De Niro is playing a very different role. This one is in Letterbox, but has slightly more fade.

"The Return of the Pink Panther" Fun trailer and a great film. Color has slight fade, but a little grainy. (all the following prints have the same review as a general rule.

"The Land that Time Forgot" Sadly, this trailer has more fade than the others.

W.W. and the Dixie DanceKings" Burt Reynolds. This one has near perfect color

"What's Up Doc" Great Comedy!! This isn't the long trailer that's more of a documentary, but an actual trailer. Slight fade.

"Dirty Harry" Oh yeah! The Eastwood. Slight color fade

"High Plains Drifter" Another Eastwood classic. If there was room on that 600ft reel, I'd add this one to the 2X400 Universal. Slight color fade, but actually slightly better than the 600ft Universal

"Twilights Last Gleaming" Burt Lancaster. A great little trailer about Nuclear war. Slight color fade.

"The Town That Dreaded Sundown" A Cult classic horror flick, I
believe, but I wasn't impressed. A Little more fade than trhe others.

"GOLD" Roger Moore. A good one to add to that 2X400ft release, I believe, (I forget who put it out) slight color fade

"The Poseiden Adventure" Excellent trailer. Slight color fade, a a little grainy.

"The Enforcer" The Eastwood, to bring up the end of this review. A very short trailer. Almost perfect color.

It should be noted, that this collection was taken from 2 200ft trailer releases from Red Fox films, and I just kept the ones that I liked. There were a number of really stupid ones as well.

It makes for a nice 17 minutes. These were largely TV trailers for theatrical features. Some were quite long, others were the standard 30 second ads.

As was the case with a number of these Red Fox trailer releases, the color could really vary depending on the trailer.

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2008 06:12 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi- That reel of T.V. trailers sounds sooooo cool. I barely remember that being advertised by Red Fox. I wished I had jumped on it back then (like so many others [Frown] ).

Red Fox also released a couple of 200 foot "Classic Commercials", one of which I did buy. The ones I remember are Mr. Whipple/Charmin, Crest Toothpaste, the "new" Fish-Filet sandwich from McDonalds, RC Cola, and a cool beer one with a jazz band playing.

James.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 01, 2008 09:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I HAVE THAT JAMES!!

Those TV ads are truly cool. How has your copy held up, (color wise?) Mine has faded color, some ads are better than others, as usual.

James, (or anybody else that knows), was there ever a Star Trek theatrical features trailer reel manufactured? You know, Star Trek: The Motion Picture through at least Star Trek 6 (Undiscovered Country.). I would love to have a reel like that!

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 03, 2008 08:29 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi -
There isn't a reel with all the original series of Star Trek films, but Classic Home Cinema released one with three consecutive trailers that had not previously been released - I think 4, 5 & 6. When you add this to individual trailer releases, the trailers for all the films up to Generations have been available, plus some or all of the films since. E.g. I have a nice trailer for 2 which was a Canterbury Films release. I also have a rare 200' promo for 4 that was a US release, although the print (which is video transferred to film) is not great.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 04, 2008 11:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your right Adrian ...

... and then, of course, there is the extra EXTRA long trailer for "Star Trek The Motion Picture" which was released by Marketing Films, which is a very good release. I still have that and still has excellent color. The neat thing about that trailer, (as well as so many others), is that they'll have shots or scenes not found in the movie ...

... for instance, the trailer for "The Time Machine" (modern version) has a neat shot of a futuristic city and the time traveller looking out over it next to the time machine, something that's never shown in the film.

... in the ST TMP trailer, the scene of the enterprise gpoing through the wormhole is different, sound effect as well as special effects, (probably an earlier version of the effects)

... it seemed to be a thing in the 1970's to have these extra LONG trailers. The 200ft release of "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" appears on the surface to be just another 200ft release, but then at the end, we see a nice long "Coming soon to a theater near you" title card, (with nice effects) and the editing of this 200ft leads me to believe that this may very well have been a trailer after all!

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2008 07:27 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About Star Trek trailers-

Another wonderful trailer reel put out by L.A. Films was called "Sci-Fi Trailers Volume #1. And on that reel, there are trailers to "Star Trek: The Motion Picture", and "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan". There were other trailers as well. I'll try to do a review on this very soon. I'll watch it again first, its been a while.

P.S.- Osi- Thats neat that I finally know someone else who has that particular commercial reel [Smile] . I bought it brand new around 1980, and was a little disappointed at the time, since, those commercials werent really 'classic' to me at the time. Some were still being aired! But, like fine wine, they have now aged nicely and actually ARE classics! As for the colors- like yours, some have faided more than others, but still are nice and sharp image.

James.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2008 10:01 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

The BUCK ROGERS 200FT was actually a trade promo reel which Universal made to entice Cinema exhibitors around the world,the feature length pilot show actually got a theatrical release here in the UK,I worked for CIC at the time of its release and actually watched the reel on 35mm before seeing the Super 8mm version.

Marketing Film did the same thing when they released there 400ft of STAR TREK-THE MOVIE prior to the release of there 3 x 400ft version,it was the Paramount trade promo reel with added very poor Marketing produced short trailers for Chinatown etc.

I also remember having a Canterbury LOGANS RUN promo,which had scenes cut from the theatrical release but the print was very poor with a greenish tint if I remember correctly.

Cheers MW

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 10, 2008 11:09 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

That "Logan's Run" Cantenbury trailer sounds intriguing. I have the scope Super 8 feature and I'd love to see those snippets, whatever they are.

--------------------

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2009 01:54 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to break this up in 2 parts:
I finally was able to get a hold of one of my own trailer reels. I can't tell you how thrilled & excited I was. I took several pictures to show off my baby:

As James described there is several scratches and print specks at the beginning as shown here:
 -
I was a bit surprised to see that there was more fade than I would have expected. I must have done this around 1982 and JAWS was released in 1974, so this trailer was around 6 or maybe 7 years old.
 -
A couple of shots of titles during the trailer:
 -
This scene had all 3 main actors, although the blue is very deep the insert seems quite red:
 -
Next is 1941:
 -
 -
Next is RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK:
 -
 -
TO BE CONTINUED--->

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2009 10:08 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Following starts with scenes from JAWS, CE3K:
 -
I wish the 400' reel looked like that, then followed by a scene from RAIDERS, then E.T.:
 -
A nice long trailer,"first we will witness the arrival, the search, the desertion, the fear, the discovery, the friendship, the secret, the love, the warning, the signal, the mystery, the danger, the intrusion, the wonderment, the enchantment, the hope, the connection... has been made." WOW! What a great trailer, then followed by POLTERGEIST:
 -
A very exciting trailer reel in content, color, and sound.

Highly recommended if you happen to come across another reel for sale. Sorry, this one's not for sale.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 25, 2009 10:25 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that for sale Larry?

(snarf snarf! I read your post!)

Those trailer reels go for a lot.

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2009 05:24 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the screen shots Larry!

I'm still amazed at how good the colors are on your trailer releases! I'm going to try and get a couple of screen shots up there from my print too. And I'll do a review of the Sci-Fi trailer reel soon, which also still has great colors.

James.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2009 12:37 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the SCI-FI TRAILER REEL 400 foot:

I was very excited to get another one of my trailer reels. However, I was a little disappointed in the exposure. Blacks were a little milky(or light) and some bright scenes were a bit blown out. It could have used a half stop or more of darkness printed in and would have been as perfect as the Spielberg reel. Although one consolation it still has good color. It starts out with THE THING:
 -
Awesome trailer with many exciting cuts. Next comes STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE:
 -
Somewhat quiet trailer. Next is OUTLAND:
 -
I was surprised at some of the content with the heads inside a helmet almost going to explode. Then ROAD WARRIOR:
 -
Here's a good example of the light scenes being blown out. This is one film film I wouldn't mind having the full feature. Next TRON:
 -
Cool scenes of the light cycles. Saw the trailer for the remake and didn't care for face in the helmet look. I liked this a lot more. Next BLADERUNNER:
 -
There are some nice effects scenes in this along with some pretty wild scenes. Saved the best for last, STAR TREK:WRATH OF KHAN:
 -
I recently saw the 35mm trailer on Ebay and unfortunately it was faded. So at least these are unfaded trailers that have survived the originals.

Not as highly recommended as the Spielberg reel but these trailers are pretty rare with good color. Although, I was surprised to see this pop up again on Derann's lists. I picked up the second round at 35 pounds. The first was at 20 pounds. Also, this blows my theory about the ugly countdown at the head. It didn't have it. Shows you how much I remember.

Derann did a nice cover:
 -

I found all the trailers on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouZkkIsLiNg THE THING
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwivz3gECus STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lW0F1sccqk OUTLAND
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cqMRwEX0Zo&feature=related TRON
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4TdPxOXuYw ROAD WARRIOR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lW0F1sccqk BLADERUNNER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJTi7KJPx_E STAR TREK WRATH OF KHAN

Here's the Spielberg reel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt_JTkUVL6I JAWS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YB2lrrOJgg&feature=PlayList&p=8A5A6E6D1D94A856&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=28 1941
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YXw7BxYGMU RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4yUQJeKZNs E.T. (doesn't have clips from his other films)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hQkBLrd1rE POLTERGEIST

[ August 26, 2009, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: Larry Arpin ]

Kevin Wardle
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2009 05:44 AM      Profile for Kevin Wardle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Larry,

The Vincent Price reel I have has a very similar box. Glad you got hold of some of your reels, I have been looking at some of the old Super 8 film reviews and you released a lot of good product over the years. When I get time I am going to make a list of all your titles..In the meantime take a look at the stunning pictures from my reels, remember these are from 1984!! By the way, Larry how many of your reels have you got? And what titles are they?? [Smile] There's a couple of Hitchcock and Disney one's that were yours I would love! [Big Grin]

-
Cry Of The Banshee - Vincent Price Trailer reel.

-
Theatre Of Blood - Vincent Price Trailer reel.

-
Vincent Price Trailer reel Box label, 8 great Vincent price trailers on a 400ft reel.

-
Caveman

-
Q - The Winged Serpent.

- Two photo's from the Stop Motion #2 reel, 6!!! trailers on a 200ft reel.

-
First Blood trailer from the Rocky Trailer reel, 4 trailers on a 200ft reel.

What I liked about Larry's reels was the nice sharp picture, good sound and interesting content. I understand Perry's movies also imported a lot of LA Films product.

Very best, Kevin

[ August 27, 2009, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Wardle ]

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2009 04:26 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive said before on another post that I wish that Derann would produce another long trailer reel. Yes I know that they make more money selling individual trailers, But if they could produce a 'full' 400ft reel with 5 or 6 trailers on it for £50-£60 I would certaintly buy one. Just a thought.

Graham S

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC