8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Night on Bald Mountain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Night on Bald Mountain
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 22, 2008 07:16 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Night on Bald Mountain
(Fantasia excerpt)
375ft color
Derann Films

I first saw this excerpt from ‘Fantasia” at the recent 55th BFCC. Keith Wilton projected a 35mm print of beautiful quality on that huge screen, and the stereo optical sound track, reverberating through the Ealing Town Hall, was amazing through John Clancy’s THX sound system. I was so impressed with the glorious music and incredible animation of this excerpt that I just had to have a print. Fortunately ( with qualifiers- see below) it is still available from Derann.

-

Moussorgsky's "Night on Bald Mountain, is the stuff of childhood nightmares. A horned, winged devil on a craggy mountaintop calls the undead to a midnight bacchanalia, skeletons and ugly spirits rising from the cemetery of the town below. These are oily, black visions out of a Goya or Munch painting, the devil's burning eyes watching over the orgy of these hideous creatures. Incredibly ahead of its time, it is genuinely scary, and would probably terrify younger children, even today. But so as not to leave you totally frightened out of your wits, it ends with the beautiful and serene "Ave Maria," by Schubert, as benignly mysterious figures move through a peaceful forest carrying globes of light. Representing the triumph of good over evil, light over darkness, most people will be deeply moved by this film. Absolutely awesome.
Unfortunately, the Derann print is disappointing, and not up to their usual superb Disney print standards. The problem is not so much the print quality itself, which is of good color and sharp throughout, except for the Ave Maria sequence at the end which is intentionally soft, but the fact that there is very severe left side negative scratching visible on all the light scenes. In the dark scenes, which is most of the Bald Mountain sequence, it is mercifully much less noticeable. Also the mono sound track is very poor indeed. I re-recorded in stereo from a VHS tape with very much better results, getting some good spacial effect from the 'Fantasound' track, although I have to say that Deranns stripe quality currently leaves a lot to be desired.
Despite the technical deficiencies of Derann’s print, this film sequence is so compelling not only from the point of view of the classical music score, but as the supreme demonstration of the magnificent animation art of Walt Disney, that it must be recommended, provided that you can tolerate the negative scratching and can do a stereo re-record.
I think this is without doubt Disney’s masterpiece, and a worthy addition to any S8 film collection.

Print B
Sound c
Content A+++
Recommended - with technical reservations

[ June 23, 2008, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 22, 2008 09:47 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

I've noticed the marks you mentioned and always assumed they were because my print was used and maybe a little experienced.

-kind of a shame: when I have a film with a flaw like this I find it much harder to enjoy because my eyes are drawn to it and I forget about the good things that are also happening.

On the other hand, it does make me very dilligent about keeping my film paths in good shape!

However It is a great sequence: if you think about it, Fantasia dates from an era when almost 100% of mainstream animation was cute little animals scampering around being "wascally". Disney (-both the Man AND the Studio) were really going out on a limb producing something exploring the sacred and the profane with classical music. This was no longer "kid's stuff". The fact that it was kind of a box-office bust at the time shows that Walt's instincts weren't always dead-center, but almost 70 years later it is still awesome on the screen.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 22, 2008 10:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to have this excerpt, and am glad to hear that it's the complete ending to the film, which was an amazing contrast between what "appears" to be unbeatable evil, (excellently animated as well!),

and yet ...

With every gong of the church bell, the head demon cowers in fear, eventually retresting to the darkness once again.

I have seen many a film with amazing horror elements, but these singular moments really stick out in my mind.

Having read this review, I'd REALLY love to get a print of this.

Was that an actual screen capture from the Super 8 print?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 23, 2008 03:32 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul
Excellent review, years ago I bought this extract and "The Nut Cracker Suite" about the same time both were as new prints from the used Derann list and had to re-record the intro from German to English, at the time I thought they were Derann prints [Roll Eyes] as they were as new, both picture and sound was excellent, some of the best Super8 extracts that I have come across, pity about your negative scratch and sound as a new print it should be better, I would highly recomend "The Nutcracker Suite" or any other extracts from Fantasia that are of "German" origin.

Graham.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 23, 2008 05:30 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting:

-The intro to my "Nutcracker Suite" is French.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 23, 2008 03:51 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be interesting to know who else apart from Derann printed those extracts in particular "Night on Bald Mountain" and "Nutcracker Suite" as those two kept appearing in the used list for quite a while, the ones I bought would be at least 10 years ago and were about 30 pound "I think" came on a 400ft reel I cant even remember if they were in a white carboard box or a plastic one "memory is slipping here" can anyone remember those prints and where they came from?

Graham. [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 23, 2008 07:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do believe that Picolo released excerpts from Fantasia as well, but thier prints were far less desireable.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 23, 2008 07:55 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,
The print that I just got new from Derann has the introductory narration in French. The VHS tape that I used for the stereo re-recording had the original English introduction.
Incidentally, Fantasia (1940) is no longer available on DVD, although I think I read somewhere that Disney are going to release it again on Blu Ray in 2009.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2008 10:25 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Through another collector, I actually have the entire feature of the original Fantasia on super 8. I happened to watch it again the other night and even though it is mono, it was still great.

Since this was never released as a feature, one must buy all the shorts and assemble in order. This was done before I got my copy. Likewise the end credits seem to be the only part missing.

So to fix that and make an enjoyable program, the movie opens with the original trailer to the same film. I close the program with the trailer to Fantasia 2000, and yes, I have that feature too on super 8.

It is funny when I talk to people about this movie. There are the ones that understand what Disney was trying to do, and then there are the ones who just don't get it....and for that reasons the ones that just don't get it, always seem to say they hate the movie....such (dare I say it) Goofy people!

And once again, Walt turns in his grave! [Big Grin]

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2008 11:49 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The beginning of THE RITE OF SPRING is missing where the earth is formed. I had asked about this but was told it is not available. Possibly they thought it wouldn't be missed. Unless something has changed.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 24, 2008 06:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Chip on this one, and I have Fantasia 2000 as well, a magnificent print. Unfortunately, the stereo recording leaves a LOT to be desired, crackling and shorting out.

I also chose not to add the "Scorcerers Apprentice" sequence, which was originally in Fantasia 2000, for the simple fact that this was added for "marquee value", but really didn't fit, in my opinion.

... and without that, it actually fits onto 2 VERY full 600ft reels!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 25, 2008 02:57 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul
Had a look through the FFTC back to 1993 when I first started getting it to see if there was a review of "The Night On Bald Mountain" did not come across one, but did find a review in Issue 43 1999 on "The Pastoral Symphony" and "Rite of Spring" in Issue 42 1999. The reason I mention this is that both those extracts from "Fantasia" were imports available from Derann, and I was wondering [Roll Eyes] if the same might apply to "Night on Bald Mountain" considering your copy had a French intro instead of what it should have been and thats...English. I dont think that the problem with the sound and negative scratch is due to Derann but think "and its only a thought" that its down to the people they are getting the prints from. You were lucky to have had a VHS tape and the means to re-record the film, it does sound that although technically its a new print the negative is probably quite old as with the sound source, when I bought mine long long ago, it was on the used list so it did not bother me to have to re-record the intro to English, but that is something I would not expect to do had the print originated in England and sold as a new print.

Graham.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 25, 2008 11:24 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I e-mailed Gary at Derann about the scratch issue, and he replied that all the prints they have show the same problem - as you would expect with a negative scratch. In fairness to Derann, Gary did offer to let me return the film and refund my money, but I am not about to do that as this is a great piece of film.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 08, 2008 03:27 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I managed to get a DVD of Fantasia from the Orlando Public Library, so last night I spent a couple of hours doing another re-record. The results were excellent, even better than the previous re-record from a VHS tape. The stereo track now does full justice to the stunning 'Fantasound' of the Bald Mountain and Ave Maria score, probably not as good as Keith Wiltons flawless 35mm SVA tracks, but close. [Wink]
The DVD also had a superb featurette about the making of Fantasia.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2008 03:02 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course today we are lucky to have all the excerpts,so we can make our own complete feature,lasting about 110 minutes,about ten minutes short of the original.The main thing missing is Deems Taylor's introductions which,in subsequent rereleases were eliminated as ,perhaps,the only thing looking "anachronistic" in the picture.Taylor can be seen and heard in the introductory segment. Some collectors have added the "Clair de Lune" segment,which was originally planned tor the film but was instead used in MAKE MINE MUSIC as "Blue Bayou" with Ken Darby vocals.In the fifties,it was shown with the original music in the Disney show and from this comes the 8mm copy. (but I,as a purist, have kept it separate).Incidentally do not use the Piccolo segment of "Dance of the Hours",as it is shortened,use the Derann one which is complete.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2009 06:16 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had all Derann segments last week, but cannot find the time to screen them. I hope to do it soon. Including a 5 mins introduction by Mr Taylor.
Osi, I will tell you everything about this new copy of FANTASIA I actually have.
Ciao.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC