8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Beatles Come to Town

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Beatles Come to Town
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 28, 2008 02:21 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

The Beatles in Manchester/The Beatles come to town (1x200’, Derann Film Services)

The Beatles!, is there anybody more representative of the 1960s than they were? They spanned the decade and the entire world. They changed the times and the times changed them too. Somehow they were so linked to the decade it just seems appropriate they broke up in 1970.

I was born in 1962, so the 1960s were pretty much my childhood. Like many little kids of that time I had one of those wonderful cheap little Japanese transistor radios (…they have IPods now) and I heard so many of those great Beatles songs when they first came out. These days it’s easy to be nostalgic for that time, maybe forgetting the turbulence that was also going on in the world.

Let’s face it: threading up a Super-8 projector can be a nostalgic act. They were everywhere when we were younger but now they are fewer and further between. The less informed think they are extinct, but we know better. There is some material on film that really matches this mood and seeing the Beatles projected from "reel" film is one step closer to time travel.

Derann’s “The Beatles come to town” captures the Beatles pretty close to their beginning. They are still clean looking young lads in suits. The beards, the LSD, “Paul is dead”, the Walrus and the breakup are still several years in the future. If nothing else, they will not be doing live shows very much longer, especially in front of just a few thousand.

This Pathe News Short is the early Beatles exactly as you’d expect them. All of the required elements are there: there is the tight, panning close-up across all four, including John mugging for the lens. Then they are live on stage at the ABC Hardwicke Cinema to sing “She Loves You” and “Twist and Shout” in front of the mandatory audience of screaming teenage girls (-now mostly Grandmothers, of course). More than a few look like they’re about to faint or perhaps burst a blood vessel. A Bobbie gently keeps the beat while maintaining his “on duty” expression. An usher plugs his ears against the screaming.

The show’s date is Wednesday, November 20th, 1963. President Kennedy is still in office, but will be assassinated the day after tomorrow. Vietnam is still just the name of a country, and not yet an era. We are catching the 1960s world on the very edge of losing its innocence, but we get to bask in it if even for only a few minutes.

My print’s color and sharpness are very nice. The color was actually a surprise because I always thought it would be black and white. The sound is excellent, and so is the music!

Courtesy of U-tube, here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I91CFOCp04&NR=1

-If you want to really see it, talk to Derann.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 28, 2008 03:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Is this the scope Beatles release? I had heard of some release called "The Beatles Come to Town" and it was in scope.
Is this it?

Great review. It made me pull out what I thought, (In some ways) was thier last innocent album, (so to speak) Magical Mystery Tour" (okay, slightly drug induced) transferred to Super 8 in the form of that lovely time travel capsule, Take two daily, haha!) Well it did have "Hello/Goodbye", (which I SOOO wish they would have put in Magical Mystery tour.

Which reminds, I know that they used thier Sgt. Peppers look for the next album, but the music "video" (film) of "Hello Goodbye" was for a song that was on MMT. If that was ever released on Super 8, I would certainly splice it onto MMT.

I did re-record the very end of MMT with, instead of the reprise of MMT theme, "Hello Goodbye", and fitted most of the song right there, which fits nicely, as there was originally a snippet of it at the very end of the credits anyhow, and "Hello/Goodbye" fits the end credits perfectly anyhow!

Once again, great little review, and I love the image!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 28, 2008 05:04 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,

I've noticed that the film originally seems to have been made for 'scope, yet my print is printed 4x3 and not "squished", so it's looking like a pan and scan of some kind. It is obviously the same film, right down to the pretty blonde nearly biting a corner off her own coat!

I'd love it to be 'scope, but it works nicely flat too!

--------------------

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2008 07:30 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent review and, as a result, I've just purchased a new copy from Derann!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 29, 2008 07:41 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Simon!,

I think you will enjoy it!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 29, 2008 09:38 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
Thats an excellent review and will check with Derann about getting a print, regarding the 60s I remember I was 11years old and was leaving a church late on a Friday night to catch the bus home with a friend of mine, we were both in the Boys Brigade in Glasgow when someone mentioned that President Kennedy had just been assassinated, it was shocking news and people were stunned that such a thing could have happened, although its been almost 45 years since that night it was one of those things from the 60s you dont forget.

Graham.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2008 04:20 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My print arrived this morning, less than 24 hours after ordering from Derann; you really can't beat them for a great service!. The print is great with excellent colour, definition and sound. It really does give you a sense of what it was like at one of The Beatles' concerts!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 30, 2008 01:08 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great review Steve, I will have to get a print.
I do have 'The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show', which was a 200 footer released by Red Fox. This is no colourful Pathe Pic like Steve has reviewed, but the original Kinescope (filmed off TV) of the Beatles first TV appearance in the USA on February 9 1964 and features 'Please Please Me','Twist and Shout' and 'I want to hold your hand'. It is quite grainy , in black and white of course, but because it is live TV it really recaptures the early 60's nostalgia., particulary with the brief moments of Ed introducing the group in his inimitable style - "A really good shew!" (Alan King once said of the great Ed Sullivan that nobody knew what he did on TV, but he did it better than anybody else! [Big Grin] ). The girls, of course, are all in hysteria, shreiking their heads off and jumping up and down, and the boys (all wearing jackets and ties, and many wearing those black thick rimmed 'Robert Q.Lewis' glasses!) are in a shocked, immobile, silence, looking very unhappy indeed about the revelation before their eyes. There is a great crane shot as the camera tracks in on Ringo beating on his drums with his hair flopping around. Apparently the screaming of the girls in the theater was so intense that the CBS TV cameramen could not hear the directions over their headphones, and had to 'wing' all their shots. Whatever, they did a great job. The film ends with Ed extolling the audience " All right, Let's hear it again!".

-

I had just arrived from the UK the previous November 1963, exactly 2 weeks prior to the Kennedy assasination. The night of Ed's show I was sitting at a bar in a small town in central Pennsylvania, and when the Beatles came on there was a stunned silence in the restaurant and everyone was glued to the TV. The people had never seen anything like it before, and music in the USA was changed forever. This little film completely captures the moment it happened, all the more because it is filmed off TV and shows exactly the quality of TV at that time.
I was a big fan of the Beatles, they were a part of my youth, but they lost me forever when John started getting freaky, growing long hair and a beard and hooking up with Yoko Ono, and messing around with drugs. I prefer to remember them the way they were that night on Ed's show in Feb'64 - young and innocent.

[ August 30, 2008, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 30, 2008 04:48 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen the most unlikely copy of the Ed. Sullivan footage.

The lady across the street when I was growing up is a sweet lady, but a horrific filmmaker, she'd shoot anything, leave it on a reel and show it too. There is a still in one of her photo albums of nothing but her own flash bouncing back off a window. It's labeled "at Carol's house".

Her all time classic was 8mm footage she shot off the TV screen of the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, and then double exposed on her kids in the pool. Well into the 70's "The Beatles in the Pool" got a curtain call pretty much every time she set up the projector! It was great in a certain Ed Wood kind of way.

(God Bless Her: I doubt I would ever have gotten involved in this stuff if it wasn't for her!)

Well, that's 3 prints plus the one I bought two weeks ago...

To paraphrase Gloria Swanson:

"All right, Mr. Brocklehurst, I'm ready for my commission" [Wink]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 03, 2008 07:28 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve
Your review must have been very popular Gary has told me it will be at least six weeks to get a print, should arrive in time for Christmas.

Graham. [Smile]

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2008 03:48 AM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Steve, Osi, Simon, Graham & Paul

As a very big Beatles fan, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts

Should you have any rare Beatles memorabilia, then you know where I am (preferably free of charge as it is my 49th birthday today)!

Kindest Regards To All

Gary

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 04, 2008 02:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Gary, you would know ...

first once again happy Birthday~

Okay, that out of the way, was this film that you offer, originally in scope. I would have sworn that this was a super 8 release sometime in the long past, but in scope? Am I comepltely off, or am I thinking of some other Beatles release in scope?

Thanks Gary, (ahead of time) if you should have the chance to reply.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 04, 2008 03:14 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too late:

Gary is at the pub by now!

--------------------

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2008 03:25 AM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi

The Beatles Come To Town was originally made in 'scope and if my memory serves me correct, Red Fox Films issued 'scope super 8 prints of same, although I could be mistaken

Thanks again to all for your kind birthday greetings!

Best Always

Gary

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2008 07:20 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Gary,

Do you have many of these in stock this month as I might order one later?

Graham S

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 05, 2008 09:43 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I KNEW IT!!

Thanks for verifying that, Gary. Your words always good enough for me!

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2008 04:15 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
P. M. Films issued a cinemascope print of the film.In fact I found a copy at the recent BFCC. It is a nice print, but reddish. A fellow collector here in Athens has another copy,similarly reddish !

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2008 04:47 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my scope copy of this from the Red Fox himself, Ron Knorr, way back when it was released. I believe he had both the scope & flat copies available. Just ran it again to check the color, and it hasn't changed or pinked, but it wasn't too colorful even when I bought it. By the way, don't confuse Steve's pic at the beginning of this post with this film...not the same show.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 11, 2008 04:59 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ehhhh! The haircuts and the suits were close enough so I gave it a go!

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 11, 2008 06:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know if Ron Knorr is still alive, Joe?

--------------------

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2008 05:11 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very much so Osi...just spoke to him on the phone recently [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 14, 2008 08:57 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a Scope print in a recent used Derann list "not the last one" and that copy sold... real...quick "not me" pity [Frown] however the flat version in some ways is better as I dont have to muck around with Scope brackets etc "getting lazy" The photo Steve used really bought back the 60s look and apart from his
excellent review was one of the reasons to try to get a copy hopefully before Christmas [Wink]

Graham. [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 16, 2008 08:02 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just recieved my copy from "Derann", apart from a few seconds of negative scratching right at the begining "not a problem" this short film is a real step back in time. I have only finished watching it... four times.. so I guess that pretty much tells you what I think of it. The print is very good as is with the sound, with sharp steady focus.

To sum up...its well worth getting, considering it was made 45 years ago "amazing" and is a film that for me has plenty of repeatability [Cool] .

Graham.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC