8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Quiller Memorandum digest

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Quiller Memorandum digest
Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2008 08:33 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I was so bowled over by this sleeper, I thought I'd write a few lines about it and recommend it to others of you. I got this Walton 400 ft digest from Steve Osborne of the Reel Image on a used list. I only bought it because he had it for a very low price and it was in SCOPE...and he said it was a "nice" print. I expected a reddish print and a hack editing job, but I was stunned by this print. It's color was perfect...its sharpness second to none...it's sound very strong...and the editing was expert. I had never seen the feature before, but was able to follow it perfectly with only a slight sense of having missed something. However, reviewers of the feature on the Internet Movie Data Base also commented that audiences had only the slightest of clues to follow and that the script was subtle. The editors of this digest were clever in overlapping dialog from one scene into the next to save footage , but keep vital information in. Well done.

For those who are unfamiliar with this 1966 film...it's a low key spy film about an agent in Germany ( George Segal) trying to root out some present day Nazis. No guns, no gadgets...but the excellent script keeps you on edge until the end. The film seems to carry the full titles at the beginning....enhancing the sense that you are not missing anything with this digest. Credits mention George Sanders, but I don't think he shows up in this cutdown, but his was a tiny part in the feature.

All in all..a really well done digest..with excellent color on my print...and a must in scope. I just couldn't see trying to view this film in a flat format. Right after I viewed it the first time, I immediatly wanted to run it again. With most digests I usually want to shelve them forever after the first viewing. This one is highly recommended, if you can find a print. I paid 21 dollars for it.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 10, 2008 09:37 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice review Gary. Steve Osbourne has always been good about his prints, he doesn't rip you off! Sometimes "fair" in his book will mean there's an occasional splice or such, but sometimes "fair" can just mean that the image quality isn't up to the "Osbourne
Standard", and while it will be fine most, it will only be fair for Osbourne ...

... so buying "fair" from Osbourne, is like buying "good" from others!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 11, 2008 12:14 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary,

can you post the Walton's cover here, so I can keep my eyes open for this title on Ebay (btw, I am mostly reading Ebay by scanning the picture).

I think this is similar to "Sea Wolves" (see my review) where the edit is easy to follow without watching the full feature.

"Sea WOlfes" is also from Walton and in nice print.

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 23, 2013 02:55 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight we watched the Walton 4 x 400ft feature of this film, unfortunatly this is a flat version but very pleased to announce that the colour has no fade at all, colour is very good, the print is B+ to A- and the sound is excellent, the only gripe on this feature which is cut down by approx twenty minutes is that there is definatly something cut from the end of part two and the beginning of part three, & our print was purchased new many years ago so we know its not missing from our print, but overall an excellent intelligent film which proves if your a good movie maker with a good story you dont need millions of $ or £S spent to entertain and to top it off a brilliant music score the great John Barry. [Wink]

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2013 10:55 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, Totally agree with you. A good film and good direction, with another underrated actor George Segal. I'll have to keep a watch for the cut-down in scope. Don't think it was released in scope as feature.

Think this is way I like the older films, they thought the viewers were intelligent and could follow a film. Unlike today when you can tell the plot without thinking. A CGS.

When Walton got it right they were one of the best, in their later days it seemed they lost all respect for collectors. Some of the titles and the editing left quite a lot to be desired

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 28, 2013 07:58 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Which titles were you disappointed with David?

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2013 01:46 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, The first two that spring to mind are both ITC "Capricorn One" & "Escape To Athena". I would think they were just promotional films to sell them to cinemas.

"Escape To Athena" had some excellent photography though. Have them both in scope from Walton and "Capricorn One" 600ft from Derann.

One other which I hired was I think called "Justine"

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2013 12:25 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the "Capricorn One" 600 digest was well edited. I've never seen the feature, but the story wraps up quite well in 30 minutes in the digest.

James.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2013 10:12 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, Yes Derann did a good job on the 600ft version. The Walton was not really edited more of selected action scenes.

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 30, 2013 04:37 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
You're correct David,they were promo's,but great to show off a
'scope lens,the other being "Escape to Victory",which is worth
it for anyone interested in some of the top football players of
the day.Even viewed "flat", they still offer great entertainment.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2013 10:19 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's three of the films I enjoy watching. Although they were not really edited but promos, they did the job.

I think that Sir Lew Grade of ITC did a good job with his films. Just thinking to back to his TV output a few of which did appear on super 8, he was very far sighted in filming in colour when the UK was only black & white. Sir Lew ITC films were I think were really entertaining I did enjoy most of them. Thankfully Derann did release quite of few of them. I still enjoy "Raise The Titanic" at least on the scope screen, more than the sinking one.

Sir Lew did enjoy his cigar.

I bought "Raise The Titanic" from Derann, but never bothered with "Titanic" in ant format.

Entertainment with a E Getting nostalgic again for the older stuff.

Back to George Segal

Rollercoaster Just watched this on DVD enjoyed it
Fun with Dick and Jane I like this sadly remade.
The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox Hired this from FDA enjoyed.
The Black Bird Fun to watch.
Russian Roulette Good to watch.
A Touch of Class good fun
How to Steal a Diamond in Four Uneasy Lessons. A favourite of mine another I rented from FDA in super 8. Now have in 16mm scope
The Bridge at Remagen Have only on DVD would like on film in scope.
The Southern Star Another I enjoyed fun to watch.
The Quiller Memorandum Makes you follow the plot. I like.
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? OK enjoyed
King Rat A really enjoyable one. Want this in film.

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 30, 2013 01:12 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I too like George and have a lot of the ones you listed.One I quite
like is the sequel of sorts to "A Touch of Class" entitled "Lost &
Found",where he and Glenda slug it out yet again in a good 16mm
print.A fine actor who can play serious parts,but who I much prefer in light hearted roles,where his natural timing and expressions certainly hit the mark.A bit of a rarity,but I still have my TV recording of "Carbon Copy" where George is convinced
by Denzel Washington,that he is his Father, and the fun begins!
I agree David, George Segal is definately a "class" act.
As a bit of trivia, Todd Armstrong of "Jason" fame,has a part in
"King Rat".

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC