8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » DRACULA (1931) 200' vs. 400'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DRACULA (1931) 200' vs. 400'
Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2008 02:52 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had the 200' as a kid, but probably watched it a little less than my other Castle's. While it does deliver a few good scenes, I would have to say that it leaves the film's best stuff on the cutting room floor, particularly ALL the Transylvania footage, the voyage to London, and Renfield's big freakout scene. In fact no Renfield at all. I heard that the 400' version (as you might expect) does have some of the Transylvania material, but I've not seen it. I would enjoy reading your comments on either version.

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2008 08:17 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dracula (1931), was the first (of many) horror movie I was allowed to watch by my mom (I was six). I was hooked on it after that.

And- was my very first super 8 film. When I was 8, I recieved the silent 50 foot Castle version. Here's a brief review:

"DRACULA" 50 foot, 3 to 4 minutes, silent, Castle Films.

After quick "Dracula" title (not original title card), We see the word "London" (original/superimposed). As Bela walks up to a lady selling flowers, he gives her the "glowing eyes" look, and slowly moves in.

Next scene- The blonde woman (can't remember her name), gets in bed. A bat is seen flying outside the window. We see her sleeping, and the camera pans to the foot of the bed, where Bela now stands, slowly moving in on the sleeping victim. Then his face moves down on the camera, with that sour look on his face.

Next scene- Van Helsing has found the crypt were Dracula sleeps. He finds Dracula, and pounds a stake into him (off screen). Mina (Helen Chandler) holds her chest. Van Helsing sees her kissing her boyfriend, so everythings o.k. He then says something like "Dracula is dead forever" (superimposed titles), followed by "The End" (Castle title card).

Not much, content wise. But was PERFECT to an 8 year old kid! [Wink]

I had heard that the 200 footer did not have the Transylvania scenes as well, so I never bought it.

I would settle for the first 400 feet of the original movie, as it contained some of the best, moody, classic material. From the classic "Swann Lake" theme, over the outline of a bat, during the titles, up to "Renfield's big freak-out", as Marshall said. That would satisfy me.

Especially eerie were the scenes with the 3 "brides". Something really neat and wierd about those scenes.

James.

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2008 01:31 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a great 50-footer. I had THE MUMMY'S TOMB 50' and it was great. Years later (IIRC) I saw the 50' MUMMY'S GHOST and it was just pretty much Kharis walking. I have sort of the same complaint about the 200'.

It used to bother me when the 400' version didn't include everything from the earlier 200'. But now I think it would be cooler if they repeated as little footage as possible. A 400' DRACULA like you describe would be very nice. Maybe throw on a minute from the finale just to avoid "it doesn't have an ending" complaints.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 14, 2008 07:06 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the complete feature on Super 8mm. I never appreciated the film until I saw it on my home screen. I always thought it was static, slow moving and in desperate need of a strong music score. But there's more camera movement then I remembered, and it is genuinely atmospheric. TV does not do it justice.
I believe the print was one of just a few put out by Classic. The pre-print material wasn't great and there's a blue tint (color stock!), but I'm glad I have it.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2008 06:10 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember CHC (Phil Sheard) advertised the "Dracula" feature on super 8 a few years ago. I thought about purchasing it, but then it was gone.

He recently mentioned in a news letter that he may re-print this and other discontinued prints, if enough people request. I dropped him a letter, so we'll see what happens.

James.

Charles Phelps
Junior

- posted November 13, 2008 06:49 AM      Profile for Charles Phelps   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Phelps   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't watched the 400' DRACULA in a while so I threw it on the editor for a quick recap. The editing on the new scenes is a bit choppy.

The opening titles are from the 200' version so no "big bat" title sequence. If memory serves, the title music isn't "Swan Lake" either but rather the 15 second clip of the "Frankenstein" theme that is on the 200' version!

Two shots outside Drac's castle dissolve to Drac, his brides, and some other critters awaking and rising from various coffins, and Drac ascends the stairs in his crypt.
Cut to some bats flapping at a castle window.
Cut to Drac at the top of the stairs greeting Renfield and continuing up to, but not including the "how did he get through that spider web?" bit.
An abrupt cut takes us to Drac pocketing the deed to Carfax Abbey, showing Renfield his bed and whirling around to catch Renfield pricking his finger. The digest continues more or less uncut all the way through the "Aboard the Vesta—bound for England" scenes and up to the Renfield's big freakout in the hold of the ship and the newspaper article about the strange shipwreck. There may be a few minor cuts here and there but the footage is mostly intact.
After the newspaper article fades, we fade into "London" and the whole of the 200' version.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2008 07:07 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Charles.

That actually sounds better than I expected, although I would miss the original bat title card credits. If I had it, I would probably record the original Swann Lake over those titles.

One particular scene that I would want, is when Renfield looks out the window and sees the 3 brides coming towards him. Is that scene in there?

James.

Charles Phelps
Junior

- posted November 14, 2008 05:43 AM      Profile for Charles Phelps   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Phelps   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James,

The shots with the brides are there. I only gave it a quick spin on my editor—stopping at "London"—to get a rough idea of the footage and haven't compared it shot by shot with the DVD. I scanned through the DVD afterwards though. It would appear that all shots—beginning with Dracula pocketing the deed, telling Renfield that he hopes he likes his accommodations, and seeing Renfield prick his finger all the way through the fade out that occurs when Dracula is standing on the deck of the Vesta watching the crew struggle with the storm—are intact.

It looks like I am going to have to watch this now. [Smile]

I wish U-8 had just put in a dissolve when cutting from the Drac meets Renfield scene to the scenes mentioned above.

Cutting to the 200' version was a nifty idea except that now, Renfield, last seen at the bottom of the stairs in the ship's cargo hold, eyes big as saucers and laughing maniacally just disappears.

I was terribly disappointed that there were no "big bat" titles and actually uttered an expletive when I saw it the first time. You get the 200' version "Dracula" title, followed by "A Tod Browning Production" followed by a small cast list of five. Maybe when I put it on, I can snap a digital photo or two.

Charlie

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC