8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Pinewood Studios Open Day

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pinewood Studios Open Day
Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2008 06:13 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one to look out for and they often turn up fairly frequently.A behind the scenes look at the famous film studio when on a rare occasion it was open to the public in 1977.It looks at the film sets that have been erected and a peak at the new James Bond film of the day The Spy Who Loved Me and introduces some of the cast including Roger Moore in action.Next is a look at some of the props used and the costume department where outfits are on display from some of the many movies produced there.Some clay and silicone models can also be seen being made and Lionel Jeffries is seen along with the Wombles entertaining the crowds and finally some of the oscars won can be seen also on display.A nice 200ft colour sound film from the Movietone News series of the day that's an interesting addition to your film collection....Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2008 09:56 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This interesting little film was screened at the latest BFCC.
Definitely one for film fans. There is a short scene showing amongst other things a large hard-bound book 'Movies From The Mansion' which tells the Pinewood story with plenty of photos.
I had a free copy of this book when joining the Iver Films club.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2008 11:23 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to an "Open Day" at Pinewood in 1980. Saw the "San Francisco Street" set in the 007 stage, along with the Golden Gate Bridge and Eifel Tower mock-ups.
This visit was arranged by a company called Starwood Films based in Oxford. The company sold Super 8mm films and was owned by a gentleman called John Wood, who was Roger Moore's stand in on many of his films, at that time.
It was a great day out and each time I run this film, the memories come flooding back.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2008 06:58 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This very film was recently on Ebay UK.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 26, 2008 02:22 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do have a print of this item and its very good, though the sound on ours is very very tinny. If anyone can report on wether this is normall or did i get the broken one?? [Big Grin]

That said, ours is the one with the picture box of 007 himself which i remember Dereck Simmons writing about as they had to withjdraw this picture box because of copyright problems

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2008 05:45 AM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom Yes the sound is the same on my print. Idid send the film back to Derran but the return copy was just as bad. I remember seeing the short at the cinema on 35mm and that was fine. I did manage to visit Pinewood in 1977 for the two days it was open. It took that time to go around the place. Visited the 007 stage they had just cleared The Spy Who Loved me submarine set and was completing the North pole set for the new Superman film. They also had the sets ready for The Madusa Touch with Richard Burton. Womberling free with Lional Jeffries. The scenary store was interesting and the matte paintings and title maker.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC