8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » "Blackhawk Classic Film Sampler" (Prevue 8)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Blackhawk Classic Film Sampler" (Prevue 8)
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 26, 2008 10:35 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there was one thing you could always depend on from Blackhawk
films, it was quality.

Now, most super 8 companies tended to put out a "sampler reel", but Blackhawk, if it did a sampler reel, it would do it in style!

... and in style they did it!

They released a full, and I mean FULL sampler reel. What they did, with they're subtitles and such, was literally tell a story, with a beginning and ending.

Not only this, but they gave a VERY good glimpse of there titles as well as a great look at history. These titles were

(in order of appearance on the reel) ...

Easy Street (Charles Chaplin) 1916
Orphans of the Storm (Lillian Gish) 1921
Hunchback of Notre Dame (Lon Chaney) 1923
Lindbergh's Flight (Charles Lindbergh) 1927
Peril's of Pauline 1914
Demsey/Tunney fight (long count) 1927
Intolerance (D.W. Griffith) 1916
Cure for Pokeriffs (John Bunny) 1912
Southern pacific train 1892
Battle at Elderberg Gulch (D.W. Griffith) 1913
First Indianapolis 500 race 1911
Wife and Auto Trouble (Mack Sennett) 1916
First Gidden Tour (auto race) 1905
American Aristocrisy (Douglas Fairbanks) 1917
Railroading in the East 1902
Broken Blossom's (Lillian Gish) 1919
Double Whoopee (Laurel & Hardy, Jean Harlow) 1929
The Rennunciation (Mary Pickford) 1909

Needless to say, that's a heck of a list of titles. Each clip is about thirty seconds long, (except in the case of "Easy Street", which is a good minute or more). In the case of the very early clips, they tend to be a little shorter, but it's marvelous to see those early clips! The quality of all those clips is of the highest quality for a silent film clip.

What's even more fun , is that it begins and ends with Charles Chaplin, "What happened with Charlie?" and shows how Charlie subdued the big bad guy!

Interestingly, there's the use of a fade in on an already up subtitle, which I think is the only time that Blackhawk did that to my memory. (I could be proven wrong however).

What was wonderful about about this sampler was that you could literally look at this prevue as a "best of history" or "That was the way it was" type of film release. This sampler could really stand on it's own, with very good narrative and top rate
clips!

This was meant to be run at a 18 fps speed, which means that it ran nearly a good twelve or so minutes. Hows that for a full reel, much less a film sampler!

Those that own this title know the story, but if you don't happen to have this sampler, it's well worth getting.

LONG LIVE SUPER 8!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2011 02:00 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice review Osi - I have one of these Prevue prints in a blue Blackhawk box, does anyone know if the other two I've seen (one in a yellow box and one in a green box) have any different films or scenes?

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 08, 2011 08:56 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The companion reel to this, MOVIES THAT TALK & SING was released in Super 8 Sound, shows Kent Eastin at the forefront running a projector

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 08, 2011 05:53 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ThanX 4 the comments Shorty ...

I did a write up on that one as well, but I don't know if it is on this forum or the small film format forum. It's on one of the two, and yes, it was so cool to actually see the fella who was responsible for all the great Blackhawk films that we enjoy time and time again right there, on film, in OUR projectors.

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2011 08:05 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have MOVIES THAT TALK & SING and I think it's a Eumig projector he is using at the beginning.

Bill [Smile]

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 09, 2011 06:26 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bill, if you want to sell your print, I'm ready

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2011 05:37 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to see it on YouTube some day.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2011 06:31 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Joe...I am not selling it at the moment...but if I do you'll be the first to know!

On a side note...I posted about a certain Castle film...THE RAILROAD STORY...it was only available until 1962...was it put out on sound/standard 8? I have the silent version. No one responded to my post and I was hoping you would, I figured you would know.

Bill [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 10, 2011 10:28 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bill, how about parting with a certain "Flintsones Flyer"?

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2011 04:24 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Osi...boy I should be sellin' huh?

Well, I think I'm gonna hold on the The Flintstones Flyer for a while, but if I sell it....you'll be the first to know!

Is there only two Prevue 8 films out there? I thought there was more....

Bill [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 12, 2011 10:23 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill ....

I tried to write you, but my e-mail came back undeliverable.

ould you please write me? My e-mail

toac2001@hotmail.com

ThanX

OSI

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 08, 2011 12:35 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still researching THE RAILROAD STORY

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2011 06:09 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Joe...let me know if you find out there's a sound version. I'm hoping there is.

By the way it was nice seeing you in Columbus at Cinevent. I picked some good stuff.

Bill [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC