8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » BLAZING SADDLES 400ft

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BLAZING SADDLES 400ft
Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2008 06:00 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Columbias 400fter of the Mel Brooks epic BLAZING SADDLES is a great little digest.
Has all the funny gags including the farting around the campfire scene and the one where someone sets up a toll booth in the middle of the desert causing the bad guys to be delayed as no one has any money on them to open the toll!
Print quality is ok as it is a bit on the soft side and the audio level goes up and down during the film.
Pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 06, 2008 10:03 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick ...

Does it have "Mongo" punching and knocking out the horse?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2008 06:05 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sure does!
Also has that classic shot of one of the townspeople being towed away on the grownd by one of the bay guy's horses, and all he says is "well thats this suit ruined"

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 06, 2008 07:38 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey!

Does it have that whole section (or a part of it) with Sheriff
Bart and his capture of Mongo?

" Mongo like candy! "

BOOM!

Last question. Should have remembered that on the first time through.

It's a real toss-up between this one and Young Frankenstein as to which one was better. The cool, thing is that Mel Brooks made his two best films in the very same year!

--------------------

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2008 08:07 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
I can hear that inane Columbia narrator now --

"After consuming a lot of beans, suddenly farting filled the air."

Seriously, does the BLAZING SADDLES digest have the infamous narrator? He's ruined plenty a good digest (and that's why I stay away from Columbia digests).

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2008 08:12 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the narrarator does appear when Hedley Lamar is discussing about finding a sheffif that would "offend" the peoples of Rockridge so much that they would leave the town.
yes it has the telegram for Mongo scene.

--------------------

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2008 12:54 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can say "farting" on this forum? Good to know.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 07, 2008 01:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked that word, "farting", it's fun to play with it with women. For instance, the word "farding" means, to apply make-up, so when I talk to women about being fed up with women farding behind the wheel of car while driving, at firat I get dirty looks, until I explain what the definition of the word is, and then they laugh.

This Blazing Saddles would have made a great 2X400ft edition, there's more than enough comedy to fill two reels!

Heck, a whole feature of this "bad taste" classic!

--------------------

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2008 08:36 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Columbia released this? It was a Warner Brothers movie.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 10, 2008 09:45 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In German the word "fährte" means "way", or "path" or "trip".

-and exits and entrances on the Autobahns are "ausfährte"s and "einfährte"s.

When we drive in a new place my wife operates the maps and I drive the car. I just loved asking "Should we 'fährte' here?" when we were in Germany.

The Farsi word for snow is "barf", by the way.
-Must be big yucks in Iran in the wintertime....

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 10, 2008 12:02 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did have this cut down once and although well edited, i found it to be just one of those few films where 400 foot is simply not enough to enjoy and passed it back as unwanted. A classic Mel Brooks comedy which i dont think will ever date. [Wink]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 10, 2008 12:25 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony,

Columbia Pictures Home Entertainment distributed Warner Bros. 8mm releases. The clamshell cases are exactly the same as Columbia's except for the Warner's logo.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2008 01:41 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very excellent digest. Thanks for the review Patrick!

You mentioned about the sound being high and low. That was also the case with the 400 foot release of "The Exorcist", which, I believe, was released at the same time as the "Blazing Saddles" digest. Both were from Columbia Super 8, so, I think it must have been a short-lived problem, maybe just that year. I think it was around 1978 or 1979.

James.

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2008 12:01 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My copy 400ft of MIDNIGHT EXPRESS has sound problems as well.
A bit of a shame as in SADDLES it is all when there is dialoge.
Pat

--------------------

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2008 07:48 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tony,

Columbia Pictures Home Entertainment distributed Warner Bros. 8mm releases. The clamshell cases are exactly the same as Columbia's except for the Warner's logo.

Doug

Thanks, Doug -- I did not know that.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC