8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » MISSION GALACTICA: The Cylon Attack (Universal) 2X400 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: MISSION GALACTICA: The Cylon Attack (Universal) 2X400
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 04, 2011 01:04 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if "Mission Galactica: The Cylon Attack" (great digest, by the way!), was released in senssurround? It really was a 70's thing and once the far superior Dolby really became entrenched, all that went by the way side.

Personally, I think the most notorious "sensation" was the one used for the Vincent Price film (the "Tingler", I think?) in which, if I remember correctly, they used some kind of light electric shock for the audience?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 04, 2011 03:12 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Mission Galactica had a sensurround release in Europe. You are correct about The Tingler. That gimmick had the catchy name "Percepto"!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 06, 2011 12:55 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PERCEPTO!

That's it. I wonder if it triggered any heart problems.

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2017 09:45 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having started to watch the Blu Ray discs of Battlestar Galactica I thought I would watch my print of this. Despite the years since Osi's review the colours on mine are still very good (Eastmancolor) though some scenes are slightly brown in the background to the stars I think they were like that when I bought it new. The Kodak "Doll" on the leader looks very good in this scan on checking it has just lost a little green (about 10-15%)  -

Reviews at the time of release said the 1x400ft extracts were of lower quality than the 2x400ft ones. The 1x400ft of Battlestar Galactica is not as good as the 2x400ft of Mission Galactica. I think I re-recorded both into my own version of Sensuround by transferring the effects that would have used it onto the balance stripe on my Eumig 926 and replaying with the balance stripe output into a 2x30 watt amp switched to mono with full bass lift and treble cut into 2 12in speaker units. The main stripe went from the projector amp to an extension speaker. I bet the neighbours loved me then!!!

[ September 10, 2017, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Brian Fretwell ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 11, 2017 11:42 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MAN!! I just LOVE coincidences!

Last Monday, and THIS monday (today), we watched the first "Battle" and today the "Mission", and mine still have it's very good color as well. I think, as a general rule, most print of this 2X400ft digest has held up very well.

In fact, my print of this looks the same as you're print, (judging by the "lilly" screenshot). This is one of those beloved Universal 8 prints where, though the color is as good as can be, you will have special effects space shots that go from perfect blacks to reddish messes.

Just don't bother with the infinitely RARE Galatica 1980 2X400ft digest, as it's truly a load of garbage ... onlt for the Battlestar completist. [Frown]

[ September 12, 2017, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Osi Osgood ]

--------------------

Jorma Julku
Junior

- posted September 12, 2017 01:51 PM      Profile for Jorma Julku   Email Jorma Julku   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 600ft reel. It used to be my precious. Need to watch it again.

--------------------
Jorma Julku

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC