8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » What's Opera Doc? (1957) Warners Bros.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's Opera Doc? (1957) Warners Bros.
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 19, 2009 04:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was no studio that ever existed, that handled the fine art of humor and especially satire, better than the Warner Bros. Studio. The fine directors and animators at that studio were master craftsmen at this. Above all other directors, (in this humble reviewers opinion), no one handled this as well as Chuck Jones.

By the late 1950's the Warner Bros. studio was beginning it's decline in quality. This was true of all American animation studios, and increased costs and rising salaries cut into the budgets which would not rise and in fact, decline. There were shining moments for the different directors however, and while Chuck Jones would still direct many a fine cartoons after this, (The Abomidable Snow Rabbit, the continuing Road Runner series), Chuck and his staff hit a high point with a one shot attempt which would be called, "What's Opera Doc"?

It had this name as they would take the entire "Rings of Neblugen" (I'm sure I'm mis-spelling that), and squeezed it down to six and seven eighth's minutes.

This cartoon was also one of the highest budgeted cartoons ever made at Warner's. Chuck did a smart thing. He knew He could whip out a Road Runner cartoon in only a few weeks, and so he was able to give more than the average amount of time to this fine cartoon.

After a nice overture and titles, we come upon Elmer in viking gear as he sings, (nearly the whole cartoon is sung in an operatic fashion) ...

"Be vewy Quiet, I'm hunting wabbits!"

He comes upon Bug's hole and pounds his viking spear maniacally into the hole in almost orgasmic fashion, chanting the famous ...

Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit!!!

... to the tune of the theme, "The Ride of the Valkyrie"

Bugs comes out and states, (sung)

"Oh viking warrior of great fighting stock,
Might I enquire to ask, nyeah, what's up Doc."

"I'm going to Kill the Wabbit."

"Oh mighty hunter it will be quite a task,
How will you do it, might I enquire to ahsk?"

"With my spear and magic helmet!"

He then gives a most unimpressed Bug's and example of his power, to which the now impressed, Bug's says ...

"Bye"

"Dat was da wabbit!"

He chases Bug's, until he's stopped dead in his tracks. There, before his eyes, is the beautiful Bug's "brunhilde" Bunny; astride a most incredibly PLUMP horse, (wonderfully animated by Ken Harris!).

They then sing the lovely "Return my Love" with such memorable dialogue.

"Oh Brunhilde, your so wovewy!"
"Yes I know it, I can't help it!"

They then engage in a wonderfully animated ballet sequence, (also magnificently animated by Ken Harris!).

But this "Vahalla" is doomed to destruction, as Elmer finally realizes that it is none other than Bugs's. He's been jilted!

"I'LL KILL DA WABBIT!"

"AWISE STOHMS!!
NOWTH WINDS BWOW, SOUTH WINDS BWOW!!
TYPHOONS!! HUWWICANES!!"

... and the memorable ...

"SMOG!!!!"

"STWIKE WIGHTNING! STWIKE DA WABBIT!!

... and strike it does, and for one of the first time in cinematic history, Bug's is truly killed!!

"What have I done? Ive killed the Wabbit!
Poe wittle bunny, poe wittle wabbit!"

Bugs carries the dead bunny off into the magnificent sunset. At the last moment, Bug's lifts up himself to address the audience ...

"Well, what did you expect in an opera? A happy ending?!"

THE END!

(Note: this is the first time that the end credits do not write themselves out, but it is instead, a freeze frame shot is used.)

This cartoons stands alone above all others. I had always wondered if this cartoon was ever released on Super 8, but I had never seen a print, but held out hope.

I need not long anymore!!

I saw, upon Derann's recent list, a good used print of this cartoon on that list and immediately contacted them and got there in time. (many thanks Derann!). This was released by Techno films, (an Italian company, if I remember Correctly).
They were well known for one thing in particular. While nearly every other Super 8 company released the pre-1948 cartoons; Techno seemed to have a cornered market on the post 1948 cartoons, luckily for us!

Techno films, however, could be hit or miss when it came to quality on these releases.

This is the full cartoon. It does have one slight flaw. The printing of this title is slightly bright, but being that I discovered this cartoon in the first place, I'm more than willing to overlook this flaw. This slightly light printing might be why this cartoon has been so hard to find. Perhaps it was discontinued after dis-appointing printings?

The sharpness is okay (standard Techno films focus), but the sound ...

Let me tell you what I'm going to do with the sound!

About fifteen or so years ago, Warner Bros. released an CD called, "Bug's on Broadway", which contained original soundtrack work from Carl Stalling; as well as re-recording of two of his compositions entirely. One of these was the complete soundtrack to "What's Opera Doc" in glorious Stereo! They then inserted in the middle of the stereo mix, the original voice work of Mel Blanc (Bug's Bunny) and Arthur Q Bryan (Elmer Fudd) in the middle track, making a glorious stereo mix. I will rerecord this great cartoon in stereo. It certainly deserves it, and I'll let you know how I do!

This was next to the last cartoon that Arthur Q Bryan did, as He died in that late fifties. Mel Blanc took over the voice, but it was obvious that even with all of his talents, he was no Arthur Q Bryan. No one knew that Arthur could sing in his Elmer voice, but he most certainly could.

So, for all those that have longed for this cartoon, I can happily verify that it exists, so start your maddening search.

I thank you for your time and ...

LONG LIVE SUPER 8!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2009 07:21 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Osi,

I was wondering if the opening titles on this one has the Italian title card like my few Techno prints of Sylvester and Tweety.

Bill

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2009 06:07 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi-

Thanks for that excellent review. It's evident that you are very knowledgable about the classic cartoons. Thanks for the insights.

Wouldn't it be great if Derann could get hold of a nice negative for this one. I was very happy to see "One Froggy Evening" released by them recently, and I'm hoping they can release more of those great Chuck Jones/Warner Bros. classics.

James.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 26, 2009 02:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, my apologies on taking so long to get back to you.

This has all the complete titles from beginning to end. No substituted Italian titles.

You'll note that I took off of the first post "Techno Films".
The reason why is that I assumed it was Techno, as they were pretty much the only film company that released these later
titles, and they may very well HAVE released this, but I looked at all the original leader on it and no mention at all of Techno, nor did this have the red "Techno Films" logo anywhere, which is usually standard policy for Techno.

Another interesting thing is the sharpness of this print.

Now, I have ran into some fairly sharp prints from Techn o of the Warners cartoons, but I have never known a print with this level of sharpness. There is, by the way, some minor wear at the end of this cartoon.

Until I saw it on Derann's list, I honestly thought that it had never been released on Super 8, but I pined for it to be so, but being that this is the one copy I've come across, I'd be willing to bet that this was a short run of prints, whoever released it.

I hope this info helps Bill!

Truly a great one, if your lucky enough to track it down.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC