8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Tribute to Bogart

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tribute to Bogart
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 26, 2009 03:01 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tribute to Bogart
BBC TV Documentary 1972
1200ft color & B/W
Distributor: unknown

-

This is a superb one hour documentary on the life and films of Humphrey Bogart. I believe it was made for TV, since it has numerous title cards for commercial breaks. These are not distracting at all, as they serve to separate different aspects of Bogart's career. My review is unfortunately limited to reel 2 - the last half hour, since I picked up my print from a small town library in Pennsylvania and they had lost the first reel!
Nevertheless, reel 2 is a joy as a stand alone reel. It opens up with about 5 minutes of superb excerpts from Casablanca with that great Max Steiner score, followed by 'To have and Have Not' with Lauren Bacall, and 'Key Largo' with Edward G. Robinson. Next up are some on- camera interviews with Ingrid Bergman ( " Yes, I have kissed Bogart, but I do not know him"), Michael Romanoff who ran the famous Romanoff's restaurant in Hollywood that was a home-away-from-home for the Bogart's, actor Patrick O Moore, and director Joseph L. Mankowitz. There are many archive shots and stills of Bogart with Lauren Bacall, including their wedding, Hollwood premieres, and on TV with Ed Murrow.
The last decade of Bogart's life is highlighted by clips from 'Treasure of the Sierra Madre' with Tim Holt, 'The African Queen' with Kate Hepburn and 'The Caine Mutiny', including on- camera comments by Stanley Kramer. The final few minutes are devoted to Bogey's enduring legacy and includes a brief sort of eulogy by his close friend director John Houston.
Altogether, a superb 30 minute reel which totally captures Bogart's star appeal and provides many inciteful comments about Bogart's character. With excellent narration by actor Joseph Campanella, the print quality is good, and sound quality excellent.

Print B+
Sound A

If anyone has reel 1, please jump in and post a review.

[ March 28, 2009, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 28, 2009 10:05 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

This is from the BBC's 1972 documentary "Tribute to Bogart".

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 28, 2009 01:54 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Doug. I have corrected the title on my review page. Hopefully someone on the forum has reel 1 and can provide additional information on this great documentary and who distributed the super 8mm prints.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC