8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » BUMBLE BOOGIE - 1948 Disney short (CHC)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BUMBLE BOOGIE - 1948 Disney short (CHC)
Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 12, 2009 02:54 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a cute short subject (04:30) with a Fantasia feel, taken from the 1948 feature "Melody Time".

A bumlebee zooms around a musical universe, dodging notes and fighting a dragon made out of piano keys. The action is timed to the sound of a jazzy rendition of Rimski-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumble Bee" played by Freddy Martin and Jack Finna.

This super 8 version, imported by Classic Home Cinema from Germany, features German titles and voice-over. This isn't really distracting as they only last for 20 seconds or so before the action starts. Providing one can find the proper sound source, re-recording of the music and voice is an option. The original track is rather good. The reel that I own doesn't feature any balance track, though.

The print is on thick acetate and is very crisp, the colours are gorgeous and let you feel like this little reel has been lifted from a Technicolor Nitrate original. How would I know? I have some Disney shorts on Tech/Nitrate at home (well, actually locked in a tin cabinet in storage) and they do feel the same.

The master itself though is something else. As the box clearly states, it is indeed "vintage". This results in a continuous light "rain" of white lines, with the odd lab marks and scratches. The disturbance is really obvious during the dark opening sequence and at the rather abrupt end, since the finale of this number matches a reel change (with visible cue marks). Fortunately, you simply forget about this once the action starts as the camera is constantly moving along with our little insect friend.

But I would certainly recommend this purchase as this is a musical curiosity that few people know about, and a great complement to any program.

Also, being in £30.00 price range, it is a new release that most of us can afford and a good way to show our support to the fine people who keep this hobby alive.

Bumble Boogie: colours / sound (mono) / no balance track / German voice intro and titles / 100ft spool in cardboard box.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 12, 2009 09:52 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice little review, (especially for such a short ... short).

The problems with original source material is frustrating, though.

It makes it even harder to swallow when you think about all the vintage material that you have that you offer these UK film distributors and suppliers and they want no part of it, but they will release something that's far from pristine.

Still, great review!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2009 04:07 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
English Version of this is available from Steve Osborne.

LA

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 12, 2009 05:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has our very own Lance engineered the English recording?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2009 05:43 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did the best I could.

LA

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2009 08:59 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
;and he did a great job on the sound...crisp and clear. Got my print from Steve.....great subject at a very fair price. And it is too bad about the preprint lines..but they are not that detracting .

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2009 11:57 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much Obliged Gary!

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2009 03:38 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lance, is it possible an MP3 file could be put on the forum or somewhere else to enable us non germans to re-record the soundtrack.

Graham S

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2009 03:36 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello There Graham,

The DVD is available in the US and I would suspect likely to be available in the UK. "Melody Time" is the feature film with the Bumble segment. Be aware however that since the S8 segment has minor missing frames/footage you will need to be creative in the editing process when remixing the sound. If I can be of further assistance please let me know.

LA

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC