8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » L'Italiana in Algieri - 1968 - CHC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: L'Italiana in Algieri - 1968 - CHC
Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2009 10:57 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The daring and dramatic tale, true and tried
Of Mustapha Pasha in search of a Bride
And of Ali, his devoted slave
The guard of the harem and a treacherous knave
Ali, standing watch on the towers of Algiers
Spies the castaways and seizes them in tears
Among them are Lindor and Isabel lovers sworn
Who have sailed from Venice that very morn
Only to be swept away by a raging storm

First of all, sorry but I’m not used to write reviews.

Well, it’s quite strange to see a new print with italian titles, but Classic Home Cinema made it possible with the new italian cartoon “L’italiana in Algeri” (1968), based on the opera by Gioacchino Rossini and realized by the team Gianini and Luzzati who made differen animation movies between 1960 and 1990.

It’s the story of Isabel and Lindor, two lovers who arrived in the north of Africa for a storm. Isabel is imprisoned by Mustapha’s guards and her destiny is to become one of the girls of his harem.
Lindor and Isabel, however, try to escape from this destiny and, at last, get a little boat and sail away from Algiers.

Animation style is a little peculiar, as it seems that characters are designed on white paper and then moved on the background rather than designed on transparecy and moving according to the background.

Print is very good, with light negative marks on the beginning, and no lines during all the film. Unfortunately blues and purples are not well defined like they were but I think this is due to the original master, other colors seem very well defined.
Sound is mono and very good.

I think that the print is a “must have” when you have a music show, maybe including other classic music extracts like the Fantasia ones.

L’Italiana in Algeri – Classic Home Cinema
Super 8, Color, sound
80mt on a 120mt spool
Music by G.Rossini
Overture from L’italiana in Algeri (ed. Cetra)
“Temporale” from Il barbiere di siviglia (ed. Ricordi)

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC