8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Rollercoaster Rabbit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rollercoaster Rabbit
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 05:22 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Superb Derann print in terms of vivid colours and clarity of image. Stereo soundtrack reproduced very effectively on my Eumig stereo projector. Rollercoaster scenes are very realistic, as we get a view as if we were a passenger. Worthwhile purchasing. This print came from Paul Foster Films.

WHEN WAS THIS RELEASED ON SUPER 8?

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 25, 2009 01:05 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the one film that brought me back to super 8 collecting. I bought it new in the mid-90s. Since then, I 've also owned the 16mm print (now at Kev's home) and the original 35 print.

As the review states, the super 8 version is top notch as far as quality is concerned.
I have a soft spot for this film, having worked in the coaster trade for so many years, but I think "Trail Mix Up" is a better film.
Also, one needs to add that this Roger Rabbit number is a shameless rip-off of an old Popeye (Popeye at the Fair), gags are almost the same (bar the roller coaster sequence) and some scenes are mirror images. When Baby Hermann goes through the shooting gallery, there's an exact same scene originally featuring Sweet Pea.

[ June 25, 2009, 02:29 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc Toussaint ]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 25, 2009 11:34 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes thanks JM and on 16mm it looks really nice. I do now have a super 8 copy now up for grabs.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 25, 2009 03:43 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say, that while the image was quality was top notch, (yet another incredibly sharp Derann print), the stereo was a very botched fuzzy job on this print.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2009 12:50 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi....I wish I had your super ears.....I am a musician and can barely hear period anymore, let alone tell the difference between good and bad stereo, hehe [Eek!] Why do you think I watch so many silent films? I live in a condo and would have to blast the sound to enjoy most films.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2009 03:18 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,
I was in your position for years, fuzzy, muffled hearing, and my hearing aids didn't help to enjoy my music. Although I am not a musician I DO enjoy my music and the loss of frequency range was particularly distressing. Then a freind gave me a pair of Infra Red cordless headphones... and the world changed completely! Volume was no longer a problem, so the frequency range returned and the STEREO.... that became so realistic that I found myself actually turning my head to follow the source of sounds!
Since then, I have upgraded to two new hearing aids (supplied FREE by our excellent National Health Service) and I no longer have a volume or range problem on "open ears"; Stereo is not good.
That is down to the fact that loudspeaker spacing and room acoustics are the determining factors; but with the "binaural" seperation of headphones everything's fine. So for me, it's open ears for convenience, headphones for pure listening pleasure.
NOTE: with noise-cancelling headphones you can't even hear the "trouble".

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 26, 2009 11:48 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Martin,
Its definately true that even a cheap pair of headphones will supply a better hearing experience than a high-end speaker system. I am amazed at the stereo quality I get with headphones from my Eumig 938 stereo - so much better than through my surround sound amplifier and speakers.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 26, 2009 02:48 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Martin, I'm in exactly the same situation as you. The NHS Digital Oticons are great for everyday living but where the Hi Fi is concerned its on with some old Koss headphones I have had for years. I use them with the GS as well when I am rerecording.

Dino get yourself some really good headphones. It will make all the difference [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 26, 2009 08:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

I'm with you on that. When I use my 926, I always use the headphones at a low level when recording, and really vamp it up
when doing playback.

Thats a really good lesson when doing recording in the studio.
Never NEVER mix at a high level of sound. Do your master mix at a low volume, as a high volume distorts the actual sound you hear.

I learned by accident. My first album had a terrible mix, the second one was MUCH better.

I have been working on getting re-records done. This film is definitely a candidate, and I just remembered that I have the special edition of "Roger Rabbit" and, what do you know, it has all three cartoons!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC