8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » My Man Godfrey (1936) Niles Films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Man Godfrey (1936) Niles Films
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 24, 2009 10:19 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the space of but one decade, (some would say the whole silent era comprised this time as well), there was a style of comedy which was the screwball comedy. The definition was actually rather wide, in that a lot of different ideas or stories were encompassed with that "genre".

There were a number of great ones ...

The Philidelphia Story
It Happened One Night ...

The one in question in this case is "MY MAN GODFREY"

This film is definitely a product of the depression! People of the upper crust (or rich), who have never suffered the hardships of that depression, or are aware of it's effects are given to lavish parties. At one specific party, they decide to have a scavenger hunt. One of the items they are to find is a person down on they're luck.

The spoiled young woman "Irene" (Carole Lombard) finds a destitute man, "Godfrey "Duke" Parker" (played by William Powell), and she ends up taking him home. She wakes up to find him still about and she ends up hiring him to be the family butler.

This new butler isn't some unintelligent homeless man, and he proves to be quite useful. The family itself is starting to go through financial problems which the butler helps with, as well as other things. Irene starts to fall in love with the butler, while her older sister suspects the butler and in fact frames him.

The butler turns out not to be homeless, but a rich fellow out on the streets to study the situation and is working to help out the homeless. He ends up being cleared of the charges brought against him by the older sister. Godfrey successfully navigates Cornelia’s (Irenes sister's) treachery, Irene’s scatterbrained courtship and his own past to save the Bullocks from bankruptcy. In the process of teaching these pampered women lessons about life, he also rediscovers a basic necessity of life: faith in oneself. Love wins out in the end!

This, like so many of those classic screwball comedies, also had a morality to it, which is still just as powerful now as it was then, (perhaps more nowday's.) Repeatedly, La Cava (the director) and company serve up the rich as silly, frivolous, childlike, and trivial; while the poor are strong, dignified, generous, and compassionate.

Nominated for six Academy Awards, My Man Godfrey has no weakness. The script manages to delicately weave social criticism of the 1930s into a package artfully delivered by a stellar cast.

This films has a lot of great lines, by the way ...

Blake: Take a look at the dizzy old gal with the goat.
Alexander Bullock: I've had to look at her for 20 years - that's MRS. Bullock!
Blake: I'm terribly sorry!
Alexander Bullock: How do you think I feel?

Godfrey: Do you think you could follow an intelligent conversation for a minute?
Irene: I'll try.

Master of Ceremonies: Are you wanted by the police?
Godfrey: That's just the trouble. Nobody wants me.

Godfrey: May I be frank?
Molly: Is that your name?
Godfrey: No, my name is Godfrey.
Molly: All right, be frank.

Angelica Bullock: If you're going to be rude to my daughter, you might as well at least take your hat off!

Irene: Could you tell me why you live in a place like this when there's so many other nice places?
Godfrey: You really want to know?
Irene: Oh, I'm very curious.
Godfrey: It's because my real estate agent felt that the altitude would be very good for my asthma.

Irene: Can you butle?
Godfrey: Butle?
Irene: Yes, we're fresh out of butlers. The one we had left this morning.

Godfrey: The only difference between a derelict and a man is a job.

Godfrey: Do you mind telling me just what a scavenger hunt is?
Irene: Well, a scavenger hunt is exactly like a treasure hunt, except in a treasure hunt you try to find something you want, and in a scavenger hunt you try to find something that nobody wants.
Godfrey: Hmm, like a forgotten man?
Irene: That's right, and the one who wins gets a prize, only there really isn't a prize. It's just the honor of winning, because all the money goes to charity, that is, if there is any money left over, but there never is.
Godfrey: Well, that clears the whole matter up beautifully.

Molly: Mr. Bullock, there's a handsome cab driver waiting to see you in the kitchen.
Alexander Bullock: What's he want?
Molly: He wants $50 and his horse.
Alexander Bullock: What horse?
Molly: The one Miss Irene rode up the front steps last night.
Alexander Bullock: Where is his horse? I haven't got it!
Molly: It's in the library, where Miss Irene left it.

Angelica Bullock: You mustn't come between Irene and Godfrey. He's the first thing she's shown any affection for since her pomeranian died last summer.

Godfrey: That's most of your stock. I knew it had been dumped on the market, so I sold short.
Angelica Bullock: I don't understand. You sold short. You mean gentlemen's underwear?

Irene: Godfrey loves me! He put me in the shower!

Onto print quality ...

I believe that my persoanl print is a Niles print, and it has the Niles "flaws". The actual pre-print material is n ot bad, not all scratched up. The print also has a good range of grey tones, (its in Black and white, it's original style).

The focus, however, is quite marginal. It's there, but just barely. Not the best for certain, but average for Niles.

The sound is quite passable, your standard 1930's mono.

A great comedy, well worth placing in your collection, and a title that comes up somewhat regularly.

Long Live Super 8!

[ July 25, 2009, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Osi Osgood ]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2009 09:24 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Osi,

I have that print too. I bought it used about 10 years ago. It was in plain white boxes, so I never knew what company my print came from. I know several super 8 companies were releasing this besides Niles (Hollywood Film Exchange, Crescent Films, etc.) But my print is exactly as you described.

This really is a great movie. There are strong and likable characters in it, which helps envolve the viewer.

As you said, everything is fine with the print, except that soft focus. Its most notable in the wide shots, when there are alot of people in a particular shot, and some of the long distance shots. But most of the time its not all that noticable.

An excellent movie though.

James.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 27, 2009 11:11 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to help, though I'm fairly sure that other Super 8 companies probably released this as well.

This is one of those films that is smart enough to not slam you over the head with the message, (Hey stupid! Give a damn about Humanity besides yourself!), and instead, soft sell it with witty dialogue and such. You don't even know you've been "taught" and just entertained. It's a highly repeatable film.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC