8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Twins Of Evil 200ft Walton extract Colour/Sound.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Twins Of Evil 200ft Walton extract Colour/Sound.
Kevin Wardle
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2009 06:52 AM      Profile for Kevin Wardle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Twins Of Evil 200ft Walton extract Colour/Sound

This a personal favourite of mine. I had just started work, 16 years old and my parents came in from doing some shopping in Newcastle. They had seen this film for sale and bought it for me. It was £7.50 (the price written in pen on the box, sadly). But worth every penny. I have the Walton feature and enjoy it, but this version just jumps right into the last moments of the film and it's very well contained.

The villagers are having a meeting and are deciding what to do with the evil count Karnstein. They decide to storm the castle and in scenes of bloody violence (which I believe would have been quite strong at the time) they get rid of the count and his vampire bride.

Peter Cushing gives a good performance and the film moves along at a good pace.

The print however, is not all that good. There are marks and neg damage, and my copy has faded mostly to a brown hue. The sound is OK, but no great shakes!

If you get a chance to buy this extract, even if you can get the B/W silent version, you won't be disappointed if you love these types of films. And just look at that box art. I've always loved that picture, I think it's better than the 4x400ft box art!

Recommended

Picture B/C Sound B

|  IP: Logged

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2009 07:22 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-Kevin

TWINS was probably one of my first 200ft purchased too,it was spotted in the glass counter in Dixon's Croydon by myself and quickly purchased after getting some advance pocket money from my dad!!

I wish I held on to the other Derann 200ft I had such as THE CREEPING FLESH,THE SORCERERS,BLOOD BEAST TERROR,SATANS SKIN etc.

Cheers MW

Kevin Wardle
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2009 07:48 AM      Profile for Kevin Wardle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you had satan's skin and the sorcerers? Did they come in the Derann Original boxes? Can you remember what the labels looked like? I'm trying to track those down. I'm also trying to find creeping flesh, too. I have Vampire Moth, in it's original box still with some of the original shrink wrap included.

Best regards, Kevin.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2009 07:51 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Twins of Evil....a MUCH underrated film...with what is one of Peter Cushing's best performances. I don't have any digests ..but I do have the Derann feature...which is just a beautiful rich print...with no flaws at all. ...You can still get this one new...it's great.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2009 08:42 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-Kevin

I posted this link on another thread but here you can see some really vintage derann covers inc CREEPING FLESH.

http://www.angelfire.com/movies/8mmboxes/8mmderann.html

SATANS SKIN was an interesting one as Derann used the US title here,alas the print was very dark but not as bad as the VAMPIRE MOTH extract.

CREEPING FLESH was a great extract too,featuring Peter Cushing.

These extracts do seem to appear on Ebay from time to time,so keep a look out for them.

Cheers Mark W

Kevin Wardle
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2009 01:19 PM      Profile for Kevin Wardle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vampire Moth is very dark. Even during the indoor scenes it's hard to see whats going on. I still like it though.

I have the 4x400ft of Satan's Skin, the box art looks good.

I've been looking on Ebay for ages for these, wish they would turn up again..I'm also looking for Lips Of Blood. I had that but sold it. It was a very sexy horror 200ft from Derann, well worth picking up! [Wink]

Kevin

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 04, 2009 05:38 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and my copy has faded mostly to a brown hue.
I have this copy and mine has faded to brown too. While it is on AGFA stock

Kev, is your print on AGFA?.

If so...then for those who praised AGFA will not fade, this is one of the example. Even in a cool and dry land like England, it can fade.

So beware.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 05, 2009 06:20 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good review kevin.
i have had two prints of this film, boths copies were very good prints and excellent sound. I still have one copy and colour is still very good with no fade.
However, i have also seen two other collectors copies of this 200ft col sound print and all 4 copies seen/owned have been a fraction out of sync, mostly noticed in the opening scene before the attack on the castle. Damm good 200footer tho, action all the way, in fact, most of the feature films action is in this part.

Kevin Wardle
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2009 10:41 AM      Profile for Kevin Wardle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert, I will have to take a look. I think it could be Agfa, however, I'm not 100%. Will get back to you on that! [Smile]

Thanx, Tom. I totally agree. I might try and get a replacement print. Might be worth taking a chance, as I might get a print with good colour! [Wink]

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2009 10:00 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very nostalgic for this release as well. I bought mine when I was 13. My father took me to London for my Bar Mitzvah and we were coming out of a Tube Station and that great cover art was staring at me from a rotating wire counter display rack in a small camera shop. I remember also buying the old Mountain King King digest on that trip. It was 1978 and now I wish I could go back in time and pack up all my luggage with films! By the way, my Twins still has gorgeous unfaded color so they must have used different film stocks.

Kevin Wardle
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2009 12:51 PM      Profile for Kevin Wardle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, I am sooooooooooooo jealous! [Big Grin] I might have to keep a look out for a better print, as I like it as much as you guys do! [Wink]

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2009 04:02 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin - I see you have a Satan's Skin feature. How's the color. I have two but they are both faded. I am wondering if there are any good prints out there...although Derann's editing was terrible on this title. The film makes very little sense with the 20 minutes trimmed, don't you think?

Kevin Wardle
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2009 04:45 PM      Profile for Kevin Wardle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the print in ages, Brian. I will have to did it out and take a look. Most likely it has faded, but I'll get back to you..

Best, Kevin.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC