8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Thunderbird Trailer reel #164.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thunderbird Trailer reel #164.
Kevin Wardle
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2009 08:26 AM      Profile for Kevin Wardle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thunderbird Trailer reel #164. Colour/Sound 200ft reel. Vampire Circus, The Big Boss, Emperor Of The North Pole, Enter The Dragon.

After the Thunderbird logo we go into Hammer's Vampire Circus, quite a short trailer and one that was used as a double with Countess Dracula (sadly Countess Drac is nowhere to be seen). Vampire Circus looks grotty, with scratches, marks, neg damage, etc..That's why I got this reel. Shame! [Frown] Things get better when we see The Big Boss trailer. Although very soft focus it still packs a punch, sorry [Big Grin] ! Emperor Of The North Pole & Enter The Dragon are really the main reason to get this reel. Very entertaining and long, too! All the best scenes from both films are shown and they feel like mini movies on their own.

The print has good sound. Pity about the print though. Another minus is a white strip of light down the left side of the image.

Thunderbird Films were famous in the 70's for their below average prints, but as rare films go they are second to none..Recomeded if you can find a copy and if you can live with the bad quality!

Picture C/D Sound A/B

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 08, 2009 08:54 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Thunderbird prints were very hit and miss, but they could have very passable quality and were amazing as to what they would put out.

The only thing that was confusing about Thunderbird prints is how they could have a bunch of martial arts trailers and then, for some reason, have a Lee Marvin Trailer for "Emperor of the North Pole" which dealt with the great depression and hobo's riding the trains as, at least, that's what that film was about (based upon the title).

Nice little review, good to see!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Kevin Wardle
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2009 01:06 PM      Profile for Kevin Wardle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I agree Osi but the titles they would put together somehow fit perfectly? [Confused] I don't know why they just did..I have a fondness for Emperor of The North Pole, so I don't mind it being on there! [Wink]

Best regards, Kevin.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 08, 2009 02:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin ...

If you get the chance to find it. Some company actually released "Emporer of the North Pole" as a full feature on Super 8. I know because I actually had that feature film. It was flat, not scope, but the original feature was not scope, (or, at least, the DVD release in widescreen was only letterbox and not scope).

It was a VERY sharp feature print but unfortunately, it was printed on the quick fade Eastman stock, so the print was pinky.
I don't know what Super 8 company released it.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Kevin Wardle
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2009 02:23 PM      Profile for Kevin Wardle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it might have been Ken Films. They released a lot of features they had 400ft/200ft versions of, Von Ryan Express, Dirty Dozen, etc..I have the 200ft of Emperor and it is quite a good extract even with it's short length..

Kevin.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC