8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Taste The Blood Of Dracula - 400ft.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Taste The Blood Of Dracula - 400ft.
Kevin Wardle
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2009 02:08 PM      Profile for Kevin Wardle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Taste The Blood Of Dracula. 2 reel Derann Import, Colour/Sound.

The film starts with some clever titles that are done in the same style as the originals. They are red set against a velvet blue background, nice touch as they could have just used plain B/W tiles.

Three Victorian business men looking for thrills happen to meet Ralph Bates for dinner, and guess what? He has Dracula's ashes and is planing to bring him back from the dead. They get scared during the ceremony and beat the poor guy to death. Dracula comes back to life and vows to take revenge on the three men by making their children Vampires.

- Peter Sallis gets the point! [Big Grin]

The film moves at a very good clip and nearly all of the key scenes are included. Sadly, the scene in which Roy Kinnear witness's the counts death from the previous film is not included, but what we have left is superb and essential viewing for any Hammer horror fan. And what about the fantastic cast? Just about the best cast in any Hammer film..

The print is good, nice colour, and with clear sound. When this film first came out, it was said to be made from a projection print. If that's the case, who ever did it did a very good job.

Recommended if you can find a copy!

Picture A/B Sound A/B

|  IP: Logged

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2009 11:02 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great review Kevin!!

So who actually released this one then??

Was it a US import as stated by Derann or was it an unofficial release by Derann??

Cheers MW

Kevin Wardle
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2009 11:23 AM      Profile for Kevin Wardle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

Many thanx for the kind words! This film was a Derann "import" print. Mine is the second print run that Derann managed to get in 1984, only a limited number were imported. The original was released in 1982 I think. It is in a white box with a Derann label attached. I have no way of checking it's origin on the print..It was supplied on a clear 400ft spool. Maybe someone else can throw some light on who released this print. One thing is for sure, after 1984 it was never available again! [Frown]

Best wishes, Kevin.

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2009 12:03 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the cover from the Derann box? It has the exact same "Super 8" blurb in the upper right corner as Ken used to use.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2009 03:27 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Derann digest came in just a white box with the generic Derann artwork attached... the origins of this edit are a little murky. I assumed it was something Derann acquired from Germany or somewhere and shot their own title card for and dubbed... but that's just a guess. I have a print and it is nicely edited...

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2009 03:36 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have this 400ft release print, thou it does suffer from being a bit to dark in some of the night scenes. Thou i must admit it is a very hard title to come by these days anyway. Thou we are quiet blessed with so many Hammer full length features on Super 8. As finding the same titles on 16mm or 35mm is impossible to find. Maybe because they are so collectable.

Kevin Wardle
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2009 05:01 PM      Profile for Kevin Wardle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just used that Ken box art for illustration purposes! Yes, the original print has the generic Derann label.. [Wink]

Kevin.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 10, 2009 10:31 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the 1984 prints are the ones to go for because my earlier one has faded - must have been printed just before Kodak introduced LPP. However, although mine came in a plain box, I later obtained a box label with some basic artwork that Derann produced.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2009 06:56 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same print and mine is gorgeous. Actually, it's a little blue-accented. Slight bluish hue throughout, but simply beautiful. Sound is loud and crisp, too. Editing was terrific for a not-so-great movie overall (I thought the ending was a big letdown after what we were given in "Risen From The Grave" it took me a while to figure out just what caused the count's demise). I got it for a song on EBAY years ago and it never came with the original box, but I have been told it is a real rarity and apparently the printing license on it was very very brief.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 24, 2009 10:23 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"it took me a while to figure out just what caused the count's demise"

Brad - I think different people have different interpretations of this, so I'd be interested to hear yours.

Incidentally, in case anyone is interested, I can say that this cut down is derived from the US version of the film, as at least one of the deaths featured is longer and more graphic if you see the British version. The DVD features the British version but I think video releases were the US version. The British version is a few minutes longer, mainly because much of the bordello scene (not featured in the cut down) is much shorter in the US version.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2009 04:16 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The overwhelming power of purity and righteousness within the symbols in the church are what I think we're supposed to assume caused Drac's death, but who really knows what Peter Sasdy was thinking when he was directing. It's a great flick right up until the end and then I take a "whatever" kind of attitude.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2017 11:18 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched this again. Beautiful print, but very dark in the church scenes. The disintegration of Drac at the end is barely visible. What is a production print? Is this the same thing as a dupe?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC