8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Carrie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Carrie
James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2009 11:19 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a cut-and-paste review from a few years back (this was under "forum" section):

I remember the Carrie 2-part digest from Derann. I bought it new around 1980 and spliced all the scenes in order. I sold my print in the mid-eighties though, so I hope my memory still serves me well-

As you probably know, reel #1 is self-contained and focuses on Carrie White and school events, most notably, the prom scene.

Reel #2 centers on Carrie and the relationship with her mother. Almost all scenes in this reel take place in the house.

These are my edits as I remember them:

1-Carrie plays volleyball / shower scene with credits / blood / Carrie in principal's office. (from reel #1)

2-Carrie in principal's office (different from scene above) / bicycle "creepy carrie - creepy carrie" scene / arrives home & forced into closet by mother. (from reel #2)

3-Carrie in English class; ridiculed by teacher / in library reading up on teleconeasis (I know, my spelling reeks ); asked to prom by Tommy. (from reel #1)

4-Carrie at table tells mom she is going to the prom; windows & doors slam shut. (from reel #2)

5-John Travolta & gang slaughter pig (from reel #1)

6-Carrie's mom at home alone, chopping a carrot, looking crazy. (from reel #2)

7-Carrie dancing with Tommy at prom; ballots are switched, etc.-complete up to destruction of school gym and death of Travolta and Allen. (this completes the content of reel #1).

8-Carrie walks back home, attacked by mom, etc.(no more editing is needed from this point on).

WHEW!

I hope I remembered everything correctly. If anyone notices a mistake in what I have said, please feel free to correct me on this.

I remember the quality being good on both, but a bit different (volume, etc). Nice clamshell boxes.

Feel free to add/correct anything I forgot folks [Wink] .

James.

|  IP: Logged

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2009 06:44 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, has a full edition of the title ever been released?

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2009 12:43 AM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, your memory is great! I got a used copy from Derann that had been spliced into the correct order. The school scenes are lighter and the print is a little shrunken so it rocks back and forth. The home scenes have much better density and is rock solid. Why were the condensations made that way? Anybody know?

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2009 10:30 AM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks James, great review,the digest down at my local flea market has just the one reel,so im glad i didint splash out on it..
Regards
Stewart

--------------------
I`ve, seen things you people wouldn`t believe,

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 29, 2009 08:20 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

-

-

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2009 11:51 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The full feature ( TV print ) is available in 16mm on this site.
http://www.a-1video.com/horror,_sci-fi,etc.htm

Scroll down a bit.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2009 07:44 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Alan.
I was thinking about a 8mm copy.
But it was very kind of you.
Cheers.

--------------------

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2009 02:01 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt,

quote:
Why were the condensations made that way?
The deal that Derek Simmonds of Derann had with United Artists, on certain titles, when the digests were produced, was that each film had to be a "stand alone" digest. They could not be "consecutive".

That is why the four 400ft digests of "The Adventures of Robin Hood" and other "classics" were done that way. I believe it was a mammoth headache for Keith Wilton, who did most of the editing on the U.A releases (not sure if he did "Carrie" though).

Keith did an excellent job of the editing whilst fullfilling the "contractual obligation" to United Artists,. He kept the Super 8 collectors in mind, allowing them to "re-edit" the digests themselves in the correct order. That is why there are some "fades in, and out" on the digest copies that were not in the original theatre releases. It makes it that much easier to re-edit without sound or picture jumps.

Hope this explanation makes things a little clearer to you.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2009 10:41 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also got a used print that was edited in the correct order. I had no idea it wasn't that way originally untill I read this review! Thanks, James!

BTW, the school scenes on my print do not rock back and forth but are rock solid and they are the same density as the home scenes.

Color on my print is on the warm side but nothing major. Overall, it'a a very good digest.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 03, 2009 06:52 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also obtained one edited in the right order and the prints matched perfectly except one was a bit louder. In fact I'm sure that the part about the prom has one scene that is not in the correct sequence if compared to the feature, but this is no problem in relation to the digest.

Derek Simmonds once explained that there was some sort of 'no nudity clause' relating to Sissy Spacek in the 8mm contact, so the lab had to do some extra 'fogging' in relation to one or two frames in the opening credits scenes!

I wondered if there were any printed on LPP in the 1980s as I'd love a copy without any fading.

There has never been a full length version, at least in the UK and USA.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2009 07:39 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There has never been a full length version, at least in the UK and USA.

Thanks for telling me, Adrian.
Cheers.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC