8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Ride of the 480

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ride of the 480
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 16, 2010 10:56 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
NZR 480 in recent years

Ride of the 480
1969, New Zealand National Film Unit
(Derann Film Services, 1x400’, Color, Sound)

For a railway enthusiast, a good train film is almost like being there. If you are also a film enthusiast, it may be just as good. Some of my favorite films were shot 70 years ago on long abandoned lines by Railfans using 16mm windup cameras. They are black and white, silent, often scratchy and shot by guys who cared a lot more about the trains than Cinematography. None of these films will ever get to Cannes, but they take me places and times I could otherwise only read about. It’s all part of the magic of film.

Fine for me...but what about everybody else?

There are certain railway films that manage to jump the gap to general audiences. Very often they tell their story without getting too deep in train jargon; often there is music, sometimes even a little humor. Ride of the 480 is an excellent example of one.

The back story is that a group of railway enthusiasts had been restoring former New Zealand Railways #480 for use on their heritage line. When she was done in May 1969, they brought her home. The catch is that she started out in the dead line at Greymouth and they needed her to be in Auckland, 1000 kM away with a ferry transit from the South to North Islands in the middle.

The film begins with vintage clips and narration telling of the construction of 480 and her years of service before retirement. We then see the preservationists arrive to find her tired and rusty looking, we fast-forward through them cleaning and scraping and soon she is seen looking brand new pulling onto a turntable. After years of sitting dead, she is now ready for a great journey under her own power.

She steams across the South Island towards Christchurch, across broad plains with the sun low in the sky. The line is level and straight and they really let her roll.

Christchurch is reached and we take a minute for a retrospective on what life was like there early in the history of the railway: not your typical train film stuff!

Now it’s time to catch the ferry across to Wellington. It seems a steam locomotive in operating trim was out of the question on the ferry, so we see them dropping the fire and taking down the drive rods so she might be shoved dead onto the boat by a diesel. Soon she is underway and then back on solid ground.

The North Island is more mountainous, and they reflect on the difficulties building the line through to Auckland. We see her storming up hills and through valleys, finally home, and on time.

The scenery throughout the film is beautiful and the action accompanied just often enough by nicely done music. The filmmaking shows a lot more skill and a lot greater budget than some guy with a windup 16mm camera.

This film gains a couple of points with me for being about a narrow gauge line, but since New Zealand’s 42” narrow gauge is “standard gauge” there, it’s almost debatable!

Derann’s print is wonderful, sharp with great sound and color. I think I see a very slim, intermittent negative line, but it is only a problem if I choose to notice it.

Postscript: Engine 480 is still alive and well 40 years later, operating at the Glenbrook Vintage Railway on the North Island.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 16, 2010 05:59 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve

Thanks very much for an excellent and very interesting review.

Graham.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2010 06:15 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice review! I'm going to put this one on my list. It sort of reminds me of 'Coming Home'

That film is the story of the Flying Scotsman's journey to the USA and troublesome journey back home in the early seventies. This film also is more than just train info and is really an emotional journey. IMHO

Bill

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 16, 2010 08:14 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You Gents!,

I was going to run it past you first Graham, since my New Zealand Geography is still a little...shaky, but I thought you'd enjoy finding it completed!

Coming Home is also on my list.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 29, 2010 03:13 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago I bought a second hand print, but unfortunately its fading, however I did manage to get the last and probably the only new Derann print of the 480 that was advertised last week. Thinking if I dont buy it now I will never get another chance, so today it arrived screened it.. excellent colour and sound and like most NFU films always well made.

Graham. [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 29, 2010 05:47 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow all films are created equal, but some are more equal than others?

This one is definitely more equal to me. It's one of maybe ten or twenty films in my collection that keeps getting screen time because it's more enjoyable to watch than average. This puts it in a class with films like "The Music Box" and "Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony" from "Fantasia": pretty respectable company for a railroad film...

Then of course there are another maybe ten in "Why do I keep this?" category, but that's another story. When I get to mid-winter and I’m screening films nightly I get down to the bottom of the barrel, and there these are!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC