8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » NIGHT OF THE BLOOD BEAST Super 8MM Sound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NIGHT OF THE BLOOD BEAST Super 8MM Sound
Brian Paul Cook
Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2010 03:07 AM      Profile for Brian Paul Cook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While not a great movie by anyone's standards, this late fifties American International released feature isn't really bad either, and actually is kind of fun to watch. It is the first time a man was impregnated by an alien on screen, no doubt having served as some sort of inspiration to the creators of ALIEN. Anyway, there are some good scenes and some excellent performances in this feature.

When it comes to the hard-to-find in sound 200 foot condensation, it's quite another matter. Instead of logically following the progression of events as they take place in the original film... an astronaut crashes to earth and appears not to have survived the crash. There are some eerie scenes with Michael Emmett returning to life which easily could have been used to get the story going and take us right to the X-ray machine scence revealing all of the alien babies floating around inside of his body. In the original film the adult Alien of the title bursts into the science lab and is set on fire ala THE THING. Instead of using this effective shock scene to introduce the alien and jumpstart this version, the film editors opted to put this near the end of the film and inexplicably stack the later various scenes involving the monster up front of the film and proceed in no particular order. You see the monster in clear view jumping around and carrying on with no motivation in several scenes and then he is re-introduced as though you have never seen him. It really makes a mess out of what could have been a decent condensation of the feature. They unneccessarily chop up the climax of the film and insert a totally unnecessary voiceover that seems to be designed to make you think about what you have just seen in a more serious light. It's too bad that so few of the fifties science fiction titles were released in any form on 8mm and then when it was done, it wasn't given much care. The picture quality however is excellent, but the soundtrack is a bit boomy.

--------------------
Brian Paul Cook

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 27, 2010 07:20 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes have twinges of regret that I sold my print years ago due to the incomprehensible editing, so thanks for reminding me that this was as poor as I thought!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2010 09:37 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have a sound copy of this title and enjoy it too, although a much better edit could have been achieved. Extra points for the lurid box art, even though it is completley unrelated to the film.
I usually play this as a double feature with 'The Monster Of Piedras Blancas"

Cheers
Terry

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2010 01:17 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the review -- I've always been curious about this digest!

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2010 04:32 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Roger Corman classic. [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 28, 2010 07:31 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Brian,

Thanks for the review! I've never seen the feature so I find it fascinating that Ken used scenes out of order. I agree about the the lab sequence. There's a nice camera move that makes the alien's entrance pretty startling.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC