8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE Columbia Super 8MM Sound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE Columbia Super 8MM Sound
Brian Paul Cook
Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2010 06:01 AM      Profile for Brian Paul Cook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This 200 foot black and white condensation of the American released Toho color production cuts right to the heart of the matter with little concern about why there are aliens who have set up a military base on the moon from where they launch an impressive attack on Earth's inhabitants. After announcing this fact at a gathering of scientists, the rest of the running time is spent on the extremely well designed and executed alien spacecraft and special effects. The earth's ship designs are equally interesting and the various 'battles in outer space" are well executed and culminate with the climactic battle between the alien mothership and the earth's defense rockets and spaceships. The aliens are conquered and the people of earth thank their lucky stars that this battle is over, at least until the planned sequel.

The print is nice and sharp, continuity good, and, as always the Toho musicians provide an excellent score. BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE is an entertaining and enjoyable few minutes pulled from the often overlooked excellent feature recently released on DVD.

--------------------
Brian Paul Cook

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2010 07:59 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for another excellent review Brian. I was curious about this digest myself.

Wasn't a 400 foot digest released of this by Columbia as well?

James.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 28, 2010 07:40 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Nice review, Brian!

James,

Columbia only released this in 200' and 50' versions. The 50 footer (silent) shows a scene from the film that's not in the longer edition.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2010 06:23 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks for the reviews of these 200-foot digests -- I've always wondered about many of them, and these excellent reviews have whetted my appetite! Thanks!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC