8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The professionals

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The professionals
Daniel Aveline
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2010 11:06 AM      Profile for Daniel Aveline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few months ago,i purchased the columbia 400' digest from
the professionals.I don't know if this title was ever released
in full lenght but knowing it existed as a digest i took the risk of having to cope with awful editing and pressed that exciting buy it now button on our beloved e-bay...well was it worth it?i must admit i went through a period of anxiety every time i thought about this purchase...until the day it landed finally.I switch the projector on, thread the film and WATCH
I was expecting the shining lady with her flame but actually
the Columbia logo would not appear, well, what other bad surprise was expecting me???well at least i was kept on the edge of my seat with heavy sweat drops about to turn the screening room into a pool of bitter ...tears??? actually not
the rest of the digest was fine entertainment though there are two drawbacks:1/the picture is a bit soft
2/this awful unnecessary narration so typical
of the columbia digests
so unnecessary that the editing is very well done: the plot is very well maintained,presenting the different facets of the people involved and their motivations,and the whole is very action packed...so it is not as disappointing as it could have
been and it is very repeatable [Wink]

--------------------
D Aveline

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 02, 2010 03:57 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found it to be very well-edited, color was quite good - I'm a fan of this film, as it's been showing frequently on Encore Western Channel and such, Shorty

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2010 04:19 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My print that I've bought new back in '74 has no narration. The color was never great from day 1.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2010 09:34 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the narrator was out sick that week and the batch your print came from (lucky you) was narration-free. Every Columbia and Ken digest I own has that God-Awful narrator on it which is why I'll often reserve them for my self unless somebody requests one of them. I do think it's odd that there's no narration on any of the "Planet Of The Apes" digests. Thank God! The editing was bad enough - why add insult to injury.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2010 09:15 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with you, Brad -- no way would I ever show a Columbia digest to an audience given the Columbia narrator never shuts his yap.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC