8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » I HEARD 1933 in Colour

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I HEARD 1933 in Colour
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 25, 2011 03:19 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I HEARD (In Colour Orig 1933)
(Derann Films)

I got interested in Betty Boop what seems oh so many years ago in my youth after discovering her on Standard 8mm film. In those days she was very silent and I had no idea she even had a voice as my films were in fact all silent. Some years later I found myself getting into 9.5 Optical Sound Films and on the gauge Betty Boops are plentiful and complete with the original Paramount opening logo I hasten to add. During the peak issue time of Super 8 films a great number were issued with re-processed colour no doubt due to the take off of colour television and this is where we are today.

A number of 8mm distributors have issued colour re-processed films starring our Betty including Ivy Films, but a most welcome addition is the delightful favourite I HEARD produced in 1933 available from Derann. The film comes in the usual import plain white box with a simple title on the side, but this is easily remedied with a bit of home design work on the computer and some nice glossy photo paper in your printer. Loading the film up on the Elmo I could hardy contain my excitement, not least because in this one Betty appears semi nude! He. Don Redman of jazz music fame produced a superb swinging music score for this one also singing I Heard for the movie which is a very bouncy feet tapper. Miners at Never Mine (my wife thought that was very funny) drop into our Betty’s tavern which is full of jazz music, take a shower then off down a mine with a great lift sequence and finally investigate the mine and locate some ghosts. With the jazz score throughout this is amongst the best of the Betty Boop cartoons and will be very popular for most audiences.

The colour on this Super 8mm print is simply amazing and so strong and vibrant throughout. However, there is a slight lab fault when the lift goes down which is a shame but the overall quality is superb. We use two Monitor speakers in our home cinema and the sound was top quality with the jazz score touching the lower register as well. The film runs for around 7 minutes and having quite a number of the colour re-processed films already would say this is the finest quality of them all. Sharp, colourful and a highly collectable movie.

The great hope is that more of these re-processed Betty Boops will be issued in the future and knowing DFS anything is possible!

At present I know Derann are on limited stock of these so if this one does take your fancy I would grab one rather quickly.
Very well done Derann...

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC