8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » BUDDY'S THEATRE 1935

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BUDDY'S THEATRE 1935
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 26, 2011 06:42 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BUDDY’S THEATRE (1935 WB)
Super 8mm B/W Sound
Main striped only.

I fell in love with this wonderful cartoon when I got to view it recently with other film collectors and we literally fell about enjoying every minute of it. It has the sort of content film collectors like and most certainly will boost the programme at your own shows.

The Buddy series was a lengthy one which I think ran from 1933 to 1935 and featured the voice talents of Jack Carr as Buddy and Bernice Hansen as Cookie. Cookie plays away at the piano in one scene and sings, even looks like Betty Boop quite a bit and we even have an ape climbing through the window which looks rather like the ape from Dave Fleischer’s Parade of the Wooden Soldiers. A grand opening title leads us into all this fine content with young Buddy a projectionist in a cinema handling large reels of film and threading up the projector. We then flip to the screen to see some comical coming attractions and this is where the ape and Betty look alike come in as Buddy gets rather exited as the film fly’s through the window. Ill not tell you the rest of the story just in case you decide to buy it.

The content alone is worth every penny of Classic Home Cinema’s asking price and this one is extremely repeatable. Sound quality is very good and well recorded down to the single film magnetic stripe. Music score for this is very fine and similar to those brassy tracks we used to hear from films like 42nd St. It’s a pure black and white print and sharp, frankly just a delight to watch. Classic have put some artwork together which decorates the white box just to top your purchase off nicely.

If you like purchasing these vintage cartoons then this is for you. Having the link with a vintage Cinema throughout it will appeal to all home movie fans and gets top marks all round..
10/10

Well done Phil!
[Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2011 07:53 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes....a great cartoon for film collectors.... We think it's wonderful. When I showed it to a "normal" audience, they hated it, so I had to run two Warner Bros. Bugs Bunny cartoons to make it up to them.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 26, 2011 08:15 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Change your audience not the film Gary! [Smile] Know what you mean though. I’m a great lover of early British animators and when I include one of those films the seats creak quite a bit even though I am in my element. You cant please them all as they say.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2011 04:53 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee...I also have this gem and I agree with all of your comments. Very cool cinema related cartoon and a very nice print.

I would also recommend this print. I'm suprised that a "normal"
audience hated it. I thought it was good, besides the cinema reference.

Bill [Smile]

Gerald Moore
Junior

- posted January 27, 2011 12:31 AM      Profile for Gerald Moore   Email Gerald Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a coincidence, PBS has an "History Detectives" episode discussing this very cartoon character.

History Detectives Season 8, Episode 10

Cheers.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 27, 2011 03:28 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that was fascinating Gerald to see our Buddy getting rediscovered. I wonder if this episode is available on DVD as wouldn’t it be great to show that prior to the cartoon.

Here is some great info on Buddy as well.
http://toolooney.goldenagecartoons.com/buddy.htm

Here is Buddy's last movie.. [Frown]
www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5qzRT42r4A

[ January 27, 2011, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 30, 2011 02:31 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee,

Thank you for the review. This is a terrific short, and I alternate showing this on programs with Mickey's Gala Premier, from two years earlier.

-

-  -

-  -

-  -

Just one moderator type note to all: Jim Schrader posted a review of Buddy's Theatre back in 2004. We'll leave this as two separate threads, but everyone please check the index before starting a new topic. If the title has previously been reviewed, please add to that thread. Thanks!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC