8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Third Man

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Third Man
Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2011 04:04 PM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE THIRD MAN IT,S AN AMAZING SPY MOVIE ORSON WELLS WITH TREVOR
HOWARD BY DIRECTED CAROL REED,THE PRINT HAS GOOD BLACKS AND WHITES THE SHARPENESS IT,S O.K A/B GOOD SOUND MONO,MY PRINT IT,S
FROM RED FOX IN FULL LENGHT
IF YOU FIND A PRINT OF THIS MOVIE YOU WILL BE HAPPY,OFCOUSE
IF YOU LIKE THIS KIND OF MOVIE AND THESE ACTORS

REGARDS

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 08, 2011 12:29 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Luis!

From the 1979 Red Fox catalog:

-

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2011 06:27 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$125 was a great price -- I have a Willoughby Peerless/Select Film Library catalog from the late 70's that lists it at $180.
It was nice of Red Fox to give away the fact that Harry Lime turns up alive! Wasn't that supposed to be a surprise?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 02, 2011 07:31 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess when we intend to watch a print until it's a scratchy mess we don't think a lot in terms of plot surprises.

We use a word when we talk about our films you don't hear a lot in other places: "repeatability".

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2011 04:50 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harry is peddler of watered down penicillin isn't he?Hardly a spy...

--------------------
Trevor

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2011 06:12 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where does it say that he is a spy?

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2011 09:56 AM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently acquired the Red Fox full feature print and I am very happy with it. A clean, sharp image with a nice contrast and good soundtrack. This is as good as it gets on super 8 !

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 11, 2011 08:42 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got this film is seperate ourchases. I got reels 3 & 4 from one seller. Then just recently I got reels 1, 2 and 6 from another. Now all I need is reel 5. They are all 400' reels.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2011 01:11 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony,look at Luis's posting at the top of this thread. [Smile]

--------------------
Trevor

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 17, 2018 05:08 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight we The brilliant "The Third Man", full feature, B/W Sound.
This particular print was an ex library print from Movieland international here in Plymouth around 35 years ago. Supplied in one of those classic library Brown plain boxes with the separator section for the reels to slot into.
We have joined this one up onto 3 x 800ft spools. The image is sharp with excellent contrast, it is on B/W stock and the sound is first class, especially via the Pioneer amp we use.
When we bought this we were fully aware that reel 1, the first 400 reel had a lot of thin black lines and for the first 50/100ft was also a bit splicey. hence the price tag of £40, (as written on its original box.
Reels 2, 3,4 and 5 are very good with just the odd light black line. Not too sure how only reel one has suffered in this way, but fortunately the image is often indoors or at night so the lines dont bother us.
This is an absolute classic of a movie and Walton did a first class job getting this out and with such great quality. The one thing you do not see with these images is how sharp it is and how good the contrast is.

The Third Man is a 1949 British film noir directed by Carol Reed and written by Graham Greene. It stars Joseph Cotten, Valli, Orson Welles, and Trevor Howard.
The film takes place in post-World War II Vienna. It centres on Holly Martins, an American who is given a job in Vienna by his friend Harry Lime, but when Holly arrives in Vienna he gets the news that Lime is dead. Martin’s then meets with Lime's acquaintances in an attempt to investigate what he considers a suspicious death.
The atmospheric use of black-and-white expressionist cinematography by Robert Krasker, with harsh lighting and distorted "Dutch angle" camera technique, is a major feature of The Third Man. Combined with the iconic theme music, seedy locations and acclaimed performances from the cast, the style evokes the atmosphere of an exhausted, cynical, post-war Vienna at the start of the Cold War.
Greene wrote the novella of the same name as preparation for the screenplay. Anton Karas wrote and performed the score, which featured only the zither. The title music "The Third Man Theme" topped the international music charts in 1950, bringing the previously unknown performer international fame. It is considered one of the greatest films of all time, celebrated for its acting, musical score and atmospheric cinematography.
In 1999, the British Film Institute voted The Third Man the greatest British film of all time. In 2017 a poll of 150 actors, directors, writers, producers and critics for Time Out magazine saw it ranked the second best British film ever.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Greg Perry
Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2018 08:55 PM      Profile for Greg Perry   Email Greg Perry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see that Ian O'Reilly just had a print of this movie up for sale here about 10 days back. It sold within 5 minutes of his posting!

I have never watched this in any format, but will add it to the "Must View" list. Thanks for the review and pics....

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 18, 2018 01:29 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your welcome Greg, it is a classic British film.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2018 02:22 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only a couple of reels (1 & 2) and the digest, all from Walton, a pretty decent print too on B&W stock that tells most of the story as the digest covers the end of the film.
I had the digest and added the other 2 reels at a bargain price, sadly at the Walton last day closing down sale.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 18, 2018 11:12 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice image to that print, Rob ...

LOOOOOVE this film! Love to have a print of it in the future!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2018 09:09 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorites and I own a print. It is sharp, but mine doesn't have the opening logos. It starts about five seconds into the main title. I've been trying to find a replacement.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC