8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Nutracker Suite from Fantasia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Nutracker Suite from Fantasia
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 13, 2011 12:01 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

The Nutcracker Suite, 1x400’, Color, Derann Film Services

Extract From Walt Disney’s “Fantasia” (1940)

Here is a piece of film history (…being that it’s an extract, maybe a piece of a piece.). Fantasia was Walt Disney’s vision to take animated motion pictures out of the realm of “Cartoons for the Kiddies” and reach the status of Art. Here the Disney Studio both succeeded and failed.

They failed because the end result was something the viewing public and the technical capabilities of most theaters couldn’t handle just yet. Most people couldn’t process the idea of a classical music concert with an animated program and little to no story line and this was a very early example of a stereo soundtrack in a world full of monaural theaters: a big deal only a little over a decade after the first talkies came out. It was also not the best of times to be introducing any kind of movie: the US was still climbing out of the Great Depression and with War in Europe the overseas prospects were pretty poor. (Timing is everything.)

It’s not fair to call Fantasia a commercial “flop”, but let’s say it took a long time to return its investment, and at the time it deserved a big “told you so” from Walt Disney’s Bean Counters (…at least when the Boss wasn’t around.)

The success was a movie both unique and magical. It took animation in a direction it had never gone before. This is a very expressive film that often stirs up strong feelings in the people that see it. More than with most movies, people seem to either love it or hate it. My household stands divided (She’s wrong!)

-

For the most part Fantasia simply shows the impressions the animators felt listening to the music. While The Sorcerer’s Apprentice actually has a Sorcerer’s Apprentice, the rest of the sequences have less and less to do with the what the composers thought the music was about, to the point where Bach’s Toccata and Fugue is mostly geometric objects in motion. (That would be a tough review…)

Much the same, whatever Tchaikovsky thought, The Nutcracker Suite is not a ballet in the traditional sense. (There is no nutcracker either.) It is a sequence of fantasy scenes of fairies, mushrooms, fish, flowers and then a transition from Fall to Winter in a forest (-beyond explanation, you have to see it…).

I have a tough time figuring out if this or Beethoven’s Pastoral Symphony are my favorite segments of Fantasia. I’m glad I have both! I’d say it is the most artistic of them all, at times it’s more like an animated painting it’s so beautiful.

Derann’s print has wonderful color and sharpness. I did notice that a DVD I saw of this sequence has greater degrees of shading among the colors, but it’s no big deal. The sound is great, yet monaural. The opportunity is certainly there for people who re-dub in stereo. An interesting twist in this one is the narration at the beginning is in French. I guess when you find a good negative to work with you don't worry that Deems Taylor isn't on the job as usual.

So this is one of those when I’m alone of an evening, to plug a projector into the stereo, turn up the volume and maybe rattle the china closet a little: great film, great music, and an achievement ahead of its time.

-

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 13, 2011 10:21 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good review Steve.

I bought a copy years ago from Derann "I think it was an import" and is one of those films you can watch time and time again. The Super8 colour print is stunning even the mono sound is really good. I bought the recent DVD release and to be honest the rich depth of colour on the Super8 I think is much much better. [Smile]

Its just the ticket to watch and relax to after a hard day at work.

Graham.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 16, 2011 10:35 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was checking out this review (by the way, nice to see a new one!) and does your print run the "bluish" colour spectrum? Some later Derann prints do have a very bluish colour. I have a print of "Fantasia 2000" and the overall color is so bluish that it is almost unwatchable for me, especially when I see the DVD of it and realize just how good the colour should be.

It does seem excessively blue, but there'e no denying that the it is a very sharp lovely looking print.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 16, 2011 11:05 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Osi and Graham,

I've noticed the "bluishness" in some Derann prints, as a matter of fact I've seen it here and there in theatrical prints too.

I would say this isn't a bluish print ("You don't LOOK bluish" -Yellow Submarine), then again a lot of the scenes are supposed to be very blue so it could be, but still not be an problem.

Besides, I bought this one used seven years ago so there's no way of knowing how old it really is! It doesn't have the gray stripe for one thing.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC