8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » FORBIDDEN PLANET REVIEW

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FORBIDDEN PLANET REVIEW
Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2011 11:33 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow ! What a movie to own on Super 8mm ! This is were they got Star Trek, Star Wars, and every other good Sci-Fi Movie. Forbidden Planet was the first science fiction film that was set entirely in deep space, away from the planet Earth. It is considered one of the great science fiction films of the 1950s, a precursor of what was to come for the science fiction film genre in the decades that followed.An intelligent, absorbing piece of early science fiction that wasn't afraid to use big words, Forbidden Planet was a smash in 1956. Along with terrific special effects for its day and a Shakespeare-inspired story, Forbidden Planet also featured the debut of everybody's favorite Robot Robby. Robby, a phenomenal mechanical man who can do more things in his small body than a roomful of business machines. He can make dresses, brew bourbon whisky, perform feats of Herculean strength and speak 187 languages, which emerged through a neon-lighted grille. What's more, he has the cultivated manner of a gentleman's gentleman. He is the prettiest piece of mechanism on Planet Altaire.The prettiest thing there, by far, is Anne Francis—also known as Altaira—the daughter of Dr. Morbius. He is the lone American scientist who has survived from a previous trip that was made to this distant planet twenty years before. And it is he and his beautiful daughter—who, we might add, has never been kissed—that intrigue and confound the handsome space-men that descend in their flying saucer to see what's what.A cinematic marvel for the ages, "Forbidden Planet" possesses a look and feel that was far ahead of its time. With an unusually large budget for the genre, director Fred McLeod Wilcox filmed the movie in glorious CinemaScope to fully showcase its artful sets and visual effects. The most impressive sequence in the film is Adams' tour through the underground world of the Krell, the ancient civilization that first inhabited the planet. Featuring a combination of miniatures, matte paintings, and animation, this sequence alone justifies the movie's status as one of the most influential of the 1950s, leaving its stamp on just about every major sci-fi movie that has been made since. The unforgettable sound effects of Bebe and Louis Barron, who basically invented the electronic score, add to the surrealistic landscape of the film, taking it out of the typical studio-bound world and creating a fully active and convincing universe.This movie is totally amazing! Outside of the Star Wars movies, Forbidden Planet is a true masterpiece. Even though it was made in 1956, you will forget about the special effects and all the other things that made this movie stand out. I like how this movie was made in color and in widescreen.And it looks fantastic in Super 8 . Check out my stills from the real movie play. The print is beautiful! Oh and I was the lucky one to just get this 4 X 600 Super 8 color sound from Perry's Movies that was in the list of bid like sales. Thank you it was a dream come true for me a die hard collector!

-

-
 -

- You got to see this movie it will blow your mind!

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

|  IP: Logged

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2011 01:57 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on your purchase. It looks gorgeous. I only have the DVD.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 21, 2011 10:31 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice color print. I was never too fond of "50's color" (it looks like unfaded eastman ... I wonder if the original film was shot Technicolor or eastman?), but the color on your print is fine for this super 8 title.

Congratulations. It is one of the better 50's sci-fi!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Ilias Sifakis
Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2011 05:25 AM      Profile for Ilias Sifakis   Email Ilias Sifakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow that's amazing...
one of the best scifi movies and a great review!
great screenshots also, amazing colours!!!

thanks Laksmi!

I wish I could lay my hands on a copy of this [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC