8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » HITS FROM THE PITS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HITS FROM THE PITS
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 17, 2011 01:09 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hits From The Pits
Very full 200ft reel Col/B&W Sound
Poly stock.

I have no idea who distributed this on Super 8 but do have a feeling it may go back a bit as far as availability. There used to be a chap who I got to know in the 80’s who lived near me and collected nothing but 50’s films horror/Sci-Fi as was totally bonkers on this type of film. I would go so far as to say his whole house was dedicated to it and complete with numerous posters, monster kits and a very understandable girl friend. Having just found out the name for this reel its worth a simple review here as the content did bring back a few memories of the chap I once knew now no longer with us sadly.

Hits From The Pits is one of those reels which begs a second immediate screening once projected as it is full of nostalgia and those 1950’s drive in movies we came to love or hate in some cases perhaps. This reel is also complete with some day sets and a collection of no less than five trailers which makes for a very good running time and possibly good value for money. Those trailers included are: Curse of the Crab Monster, I Was a Teenage Frankenstein, Ape Man From Planet X, I Was a Teenage Werewolf and The Giant Claw. As I am sure many of you will know some of these films contained colour sequences and so does this trailer reel which is nice to see although fairly muted. The black and white is very good with good definition, crisp sound and as mentioned a very full reel of film to keep us busy viewing. My film had no box so it was a case of “knock one up” which is worth the effort to complete the package as it were. It’s a nice little nostalgia reel which would be great for the forthcoming Halloween season or a sci-fi special evening perhaps. My own two personal favourites on the reel have to be The Giant Claw and Ape Man From Planet X but they are all good actually.

If anyone knows who made this one available on Poly stock it would be nice to pop a note on here as I don’t have a clue myself.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2011 01:26 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee I believe this reel was put out by Ian 0'Reilly as an official Perrys Movies release,a lovely reel and pretty rare these days too.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2011 03:06 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I remember ordering this one new from Perry's back in the 80's.

I believe there was also a Hits from the Pits Vol. 2.

-

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 25, 2012 06:13 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chaps there was actually a volume three of "Hits From The Pits"
with "Teenagers From Outer Space",It!The Terror From Beyond
Space","Night of the Blood Beast",The Crawling Hand","Queen
Of Outer Space"(col) and "It Conquered The World"
According to Ians blurb on the box each print of these classics
was supplied with a free pair of disposable underpants!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC