8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING WOMAN

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING WOMAN
Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2011 10:40 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Incredible Shrinking Woman

Universal 8

Lily Tomlin plays Pat Kramer, a housewife and mother who begins to shrink because of over exposure to household products and pollution. It is loosely based on Richard Matheson's "The Incredible Shrinking Man".

I think the story is told fairly well in 32 min. for what is originally a 90 min. movie. There are some things I did miss, though. The fact that it is the new perfume and not just everything that is the catalyst for the shrinking. The kids keep asking Pat to do "Little Bar of Soap" but we never see her do it. Her appearance on The Mike Douglas Show. Pat living in a dollhouse. The "Galaxy Glue" song. And I know time is limited in a digest but it would have been nice to see the brief appearance of either Ernestine or Edith Ann.

This print still has good color. And what bright colors they are. They would become less so as the tone of the movie gets darker.

A lot has been said on this forum about the awful picture quality of this transfer. How soft the images are. But no one mentioned that the softness is intentional. I will agree that the image is not as clear as the on-demand-only DVD but if you watch that, you will see there is a halo effect around everything from whatever filter was put on the camera. It could be a little more clear, however. I have noticed several of the later U8 films, like this and "The Blues Brothers", are pretty grainy.

The sound is a very clear magnetic mono.

"The Incredible Shrinking Woman" is by no means a masterpiece but I thought it was fun when I was 10 years old. The kid in me still enjoys it.

This was the last 2x400 digest from Universal 8 Films. The format has been laying low since then while movies on VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, Blu-Ray and now download have become the way to watch movies at home. And yet, through it all, we are here keeping it alive. Pretty cool.

[ March 16, 2012, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 12, 2011 01:05 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sons and I loved this film. When they were little I would have to sing them the Little Bar of Soap song at bedtime. You are right about the soft halo look of the original film. I've noticed that myself. It created a dreamy effect and the saturated colors gave it a cartoon or comic book feeling.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2011 02:31 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The format has been laying low since then while movies on VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, Blu-Ray and now download have become the way to watch movies at home. And yet, through it all, we are here keeping it alive. Pretty cool.

Well said, Chris. I'm glad to be part of that too. I love my film collection.

I would like to find a copy of this digest. It has been many years since I have seen this film and your review brought back some good memories!

Bill [Smile]

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2011 08:23 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Intentional softness in a 35mm print looks ok..but my print of this film was plain out of focus. Not even the Universal 8 logo was sharp. ..I ran it one time...couldn't show it to an audience because I'd have to apologize for it...and sold it.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2011 12:09 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When a print fades it loses contrast, in turn, will lose some focus.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC