8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » BARBARELLA 3x400' MARKETING DIGEST

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BARBARELLA 3x400' MARKETING DIGEST
Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2012 02:52 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to fellow Forum member Chris Bjorgen, I was able to see this cut-down last night. Having found no record for a print review, I may as well do one here for this film. I'd like to start with the other worldly quality of a package received from over seas -- when if finally gets to it's destination, it looks like a crashed space-ship.

This is how the film begins, the script by Terry Southern somehow seemingly more mysterious , the musical transitions more abrupt and sudden. It has three differently pictured covers with production shots that are not actually in the film, something marketing film INTERNATIONAL did often. Jane Fonda is the only star titled on the boxes, it obviously co-stars John Phillip Law and Marcel Marceau among others. The boxes are of those very brittle type but, still remarkably intact for an overseas journey.

As mentioned, expect to find some of the most mind bending music on the print, with references to about 50 different rock bands uttered within the dialogue. Future Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour was one of the session musicians who performed the film's original score.

There is nudity in the film, and many of the special effects looked very good, the print is in adapted scope, occasional soft focus. The color on the print looks fair but strong, sort of like the movies original poster. Typical of the marketing films brownish fade, the dark colors were still dark since, this film has a lot of orange and brown.

Lobby card stills and set photographs survive, showing footage of a seduction scene between Barbarella and the Black Queen on a bed. However this footage has never appeared in any print of the film. Sadly, it is missing from this digest as well...still, it is a bizarre science fiction film, meant to be be weird and made to trip you out!

-
 -

Screen shots are from only the first reel.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 24, 2012 12:47 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought to much of this film (except for the "credit sequence" hee hee!) ...

on the other hand, I have always LOVED the soundtrack to this film, which I thought was great. My dad had this soundtrack on LP when I was a kid, and I listened to it until it was a scratched up mess!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2012 10:15 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Mr. Santana, I have watched this digest. There are several scenes missing as a 98 min. movie has been reduced to 45 min. The basic plot is there but gone are the iconic opening credits, Barbarella receiving her orders and weapons, the doll attack, sex with the Catchman, pill sex with Dildano, and one of my favorite lines, "Screaming. A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."

Despite all that, it is still entertaining and a good representation of the story. Jane Fonda looks fantastic and has great comic timing (see the clip below). It has a great psychedelic score and songs by Bob Crewe and Charles Fox. It is partially letterboxed. The original Panavision image has been reduced to a flat ratio of about 1.85:1. Yes, there is some fade but one layer of blue gel and it looks great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLj1ezNFr30

I hope to find a copy someday. Till then, thank you so much Gerald. I had fun watching this on the silver screen.

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2012 07:51 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah a great film I have that disgest of the 400 reel. I think my copy is without fad. I will have to show it now to compare prints.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2012 08:32 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi,

After the 3x400 was over I was wondering what scenes made it into to the 1x400. Can you tell us about the 16 min. version of "Barbarella"?

Also, after watching this digest, I watched some of the DVD. I guess I really missed those opening credits. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2012 01:37 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well most of the opening credits are there I was surprised to see. Then the part where the angel feels her up,the scenes in the city ,the geran geran scene in the sex machine,the math ma scenes, escape from the city ,angel flying with the two beauties,and the gun but in to the angels diaper of feathers.  -  -

[ April 06, 2012, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Laksmi Breathwaite ]

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC