8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » RIDE RANGER RIDE 1936

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RIDE RANGER RIDE 1936
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 02, 2012 03:42 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RIDE RANGER RIDE 1936
Collectors Club 3X400ft B&W Sound

Released or some would say escaped on Super 8mm sound film in the 1970’s here we have a fun offering from Collectors Club. This 1936 comedy western just about covers all angles with some nice songs sung by Texas Ranger Gene Autry and the theme song Ride Ranger Ride will have you singing along as it’s quite catchy. Some years ago I interviewed a chap who was recalling memories of his old cinema and screening westerns which was very interesting. He told me one story of how the children used to leave the cinema after watching Gene Autry films and pretending to be cowboys and Indians as they galloped down the side street on invisible horses. Priceless memories and link nicely to this film in which Gene gets arrested no less than three times and thrown in and out of jail, sings some good songs, funny comedy moments and discovers a secret of a certain Indian so all good fun.

Reel one of three 400ft reels is quite nice quality, reel two has some vertical float and the last 400ft reel is better. Collectors Club print quality as we know were largely driven by the low price for films which customers way back then came to expect. The sound on this one is pretty good throughout with the usual great film stripe on the film base which I’ve always found reliable if I felt the need to re record a sound track. Ride Ranger Ride is quite a quaint in a strange sort of way although I am probably being a little nostalgic as usual with Collectors Club films recapturing my teens when I used to await that yellow box containing another film flying through the letter box each month.

I think we can chance giving this release from 1978 a modest 7/10 for print and 8/10 for sound remembering it was a low budget 1936 movie. Can you believe it is now 34 years since this Super 8 film got its release, boy how time flies!

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 02, 2012 12:39 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
You're dead right there Lee,I have some lovely memories on film
collecting and you'll probably agree, one of the nicest sights was
to see that little red Post van pull up outside the door and your
movie handed over in its brown paper wrap,another gem from
Perry's or Mountain et al.Happy days indeed.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 03, 2012 01:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those days really aren't quite ended, as I still relish getting the occasional package from Perry's or Independent 8, (though I wish i could purchase more)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 05, 2012 06:09 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi osi,I imagine the postal rates are sky high getting them "over
the pond"as they're bad enough inland UK

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC