8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Phantom Of The Opera U/8 400' Version

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Phantom Of The Opera U/8 400' Version
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2012 10:57 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A well edited digest that is comprised of strictly footage surrounding the phantom and the only opera in it is in its title. The digest opens with the background story of how Claude Rains' character is scarred and makes escape into the catacombs beneath the opera house. Next we have the classic chandelier sequence ending with his abduction of Christine and bringing her to his lair. Some light moments among the opera house management about the ghost story circulating among the actors and staff and how they plan to set out to capture Rains. Finally we have the unmasking scene finishing up with the collapse of the underground and the escape of Christine and her rescuers. My print has nice sound, but unfortunately has turned beet red. The only color is a slight hint of yellow during the fall of the chandelier otherwise it looks like a red-tinted b&w film. It's really a shame about Eastman prints because this digest is really nicely done. I have a copy of this in both Super 8 and 16mm and both are tomato-red. Such a waste because , aside from myself, who would want to watch it?

[ April 06, 2012, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Brad Kimball ]

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2012 04:50 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this U8 digest in Super 8 too. I really like it as well. My copy has OK color but the sound can barely be heard even with the volume all the way up...The stripe looks ok...guess it needs re-recorded. I received it some time ago as a gift due to the lack of sound. So, while your copy is a red tinted B&W sound mine is a color silent.

Does anyone have a color sound print of this? [Razz]

Bill [Smile]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 08, 2012 06:08 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
The colour on this release was very disappointing, being of the
pinky "undersaturated" type ,I myself did have a copy
many years ago and the sound was very good,but I always felt
it lacked something.There were a few of the U/8 films with a
similar lack of colour,"Dr Cyclops" springs to mind, but when
they did get it right on the likes of "Silent Running" it makes you
wonder what went wrong on some of the others.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2012 06:20 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a copy of this digest. I love the edit but, unfortunately, it is very red. I put a layer of blue over the lens and now it has a sort of sepia look to it.

[ July 27, 2014, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2012 06:59 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to watch that, but it is blocking me.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2012 09:21 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try it now. I've made the clip public.

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2012 07:04 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Chris!

Just viewed the clip. The filter does help and gives it sort of a black and white look, without the over-bearing red tint.

A nice self-contained clip too.

James.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 11, 2012 07:58 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,heres a suggestion,as I used to sell gels to rectify colour
on red prints to a point.Try a pale yellow with your blue and I
think you'll be pleasantly suprised at the difference.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC