8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Magnificent Two The

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Magnificent Two The
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 18, 2012 04:45 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Magnificent Two
8 reels Collectors Club
B&W Sound
Print quality B Sound A+

This is a fun light hearted comedy starring Morecambe & Wise and directed by Cliff Owen who directed a number of British comedies. The film was originally in colour but put out by CC in black and white which was not unusual for bargain basement 8mm distributors in the 70’s. The story follows the two boys who are travelling salesmen riding on a rather nice steam train, latterly they get mixed up in something of a south American revolution and Eric Morecambe stand in for a rebel leader. This film is just a bit of innocent fun and may appeal to the kids as well as adults so a good all rounder. The print is quite good although the first reel had the jitters probably due to problems in the negative stages although just guessing. The rest of the film is fine and very enjoyable with the audience last night saying it was good to see some good old fashioned family entertainment so it went down well. I should just mention the sound quality on this one as it was unusually good quality, certainly for Collectors Club best known for vintage titles. Well done to them and this print from 1978 makes for a nice bit of nostalgia in the collection.

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 18, 2012 08:28 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Lee,maybe you can throw some light on this,but there was
a colour 4x400 of this title and also CARRY ON DOCTOR,both
of these titles were done by CC , I wonder if they did the colour
prints?

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 18, 2012 10:59 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hugh. Didn’t Walton do a cut down of Mag Two in colour? CC didn’t do the 4X400 in col probably because they were nearing closure by then which was a shame. As far as I know they only released 4 or 5 short reels in colour.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 18, 2012 12:01 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee, the only M & W film I can think of from Walton was the
400' RIVIERA TOUCH ,but the features of Carry On Doctor &
Magnificent Two have been on secondhand lists as colour prints.
I haven't a clue who did them,probably the same outfit that
did the 4x400 col DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE,and that was on one of
Phil's lists some years ago.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 18, 2012 12:40 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have this feature print, always find time for the brilliant Morcombe and Wise. As i understand it there was only a 1 x 400ft colour version of the magnificent two, this was also released by the collectors club. It was mainly focused on the first reel of the feature and ended as they are rescued from there prison cell. I havnt seen a colour feature myself although i may stand corrected. My copy is also a B with A sound, part four being a little bright.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC