8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Dames

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dames
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 23, 2012 08:59 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dames (1933) 2 x 400ft B/W Derann Films

-

-

Following the success of 42nd Street and Gold Diggers of 1933, Warners produced Dames, once again starring Dick Powell and Ruby Keeler as the young lovers. Powell is an ambitious songwriter in need of money to put on a show he has written. Ruby is his romantic inspiration, and Joan Blondell is the chorus girl who shakes down the ubiquitous Guy Kibbee for the backing money.
By far the most memorable item in Dames is the song and routine ‘I only Have Eyes For You’. One of the best songs ever written for a film, it is sung by Powell and beautifully staged by Busby Berkeley. Dick and Ruby meet in a movie theater, and then take a long subway ride during which they fall asleep. As Powell dreams, hordes of girls appear, all wearing Benda masks, so that an army of Keeler’s appear on the screen. Each girl, with a board on her back , bends over , creating a giant jigsaw puzzle of Ruby’s face.
The final of Dames is another all-girl array for the title song. Hundreds of girls in white blouses and black tights configurate into abstract designs allowing Berkeley to obtain his famous stunning overhead kaleidoscopic floral mosaics.
(Please note that the box art is my own. My print of Dames came in a plain white box, and I dont think Derann ever generated the same style of box art for this film as they did with the other Berkeley's. I wanted mine to look just like the others in the series, so I used the Derann template to do my own box art)

Print Quality B
Sound B

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2012 09:41 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thats brill paul

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2012 02:20 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent review Paul. It is a shame though that the print quality of Dames isnt as good as Goldiggers of 1933. Every copy Ive seen of Dames has a slighty soft look. The title number 'Dames' is also one of my favourites.

Graham S

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 24, 2012 03:08 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys.
I agree Graham, the print of Dames is not as good as Gold Diggers of 1933. Neither is the 2 x 400 Footlight Parade. I think Gold Diggers and 42nd Street had the best print quality of the series, and of those two I would rate Gold Diggers the best - it really is a superb 2 x 400 print.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2012 12:31 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original master negative for "Footlight Parade" was lost years ago in a vault fire. All prints are therefore soft. Of course, we do not know how the preprint material was that Derann worked with. But that may explain the drop in quality.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC