8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Silver Dream Racer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Silver Dream Racer
David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2012 01:26 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought this digest recently from Barry Attwood at Independent 8 - I had read a few things about this print - namely get a copy in scope and don't compare it to the full feature - as I have heard that the full feature is dull and boring. Well this 18 minutes rattles by - following a pre title sequence where motorcycle nut Nick - the leaden David Essex (plant him in the amazon rain forest and he'd do wonders!)suffers a bereavement - we are treated to what could be a complete title sequence as the 500cc beasts cruise around Brands Hatch. Then we are given a glance of British Actress Diane Keen who introduces Mr Essex to the Silver Dream Machine of the title. It's not long before Mr Essex is burning rubber around the race track testing out this Silver prototype and being coaxed on and guided by the ever excellent Clarke Peters. We get a short scene of rivalry between Mr Essex and the much underrated Beau Bridges - before we are plunged headlong into the World Championship 500cc race - some of these sequences in scope both in real time and slow motion are excellent and you really feel drawn into the actual race especially from the rider's perspective. The whole reel builds to an unexpected Climax - that I felt was so effective - I rewound the print and watched it again. Overall print and sound quality is very good with a lot a very familiar British and American actors glimpsed along the way. Even if you are not a fan of David Essex - the racing scenes in scope are worth owning a copy of this 1980 movie - try and seek it out.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 27, 2012 02:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree David. I have this print as well. Lovely color and, as you stated, those views of racing down the track at top speed look totally excellent in scope and the way the digest ended, (if I remember, without any end titles?), really works well, as it does have a "shock" element to it. The digest, (in my opinion) is much better than the full film.

Thanks for the review.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2012 02:47 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Osi,

You are quite right - no end titles adds to the impact - I really liked the Walton digests and their 4x400ft features - I will have to review more of my collection.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 27, 2012 03:01 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a David Essex fan I have to express the view that the line "plant him in the amazon rain forest and he'd do wonders" is harsh to say the least! I acknowledge that SDR is nowhere near as a good a film as 'That'll be the Day' and 'Stardust' but the latter is respected by many as one of the all-time great films featuring the world of rock music, and Mr Essex does well in an extremely demanding starring role. Interestingly, all were of course released on Super 8, plus even 'Assault'; an earlier film in wihich he has a small role.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2012 03:37 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Adrian,

My apologies for the Rain Forest quip - I do however take your point The Jim Mclaine films that Derann released are terrific nostalgia pieces - with great performances all round - I did have That'll Be the Day - but foolishly let it go years ago - I haven't seen a print of Stardust for years - I would really like a copy of that.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 27, 2012 08:44 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David - That's no problem - but be relieved that DE's legions of female fans are unlikely to be dropping in here! 'Stardust' seems very scarce on Super 8 - I briefly had the 400' many years ago but didn't keep it as the print had some problem I can't recall. However, I suspect that it might be hard or impossible to find a print of either film that isn't as badly faded as my 400' of 'That'll be the Day'. Fortunately I have a nice 16mm print of 'Stardust'.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 28, 2012 07:34 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you know Adrian, that he tried for the part of the Gypsy
vampire in "Vampire Circus",but lost out, and that little bit of info
if I remember, was in "Little Shoppe of Horrors" mag.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC