8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Goldfinger Feature review

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Goldfinger Feature review
Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2012 11:11 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goldfinger super 8mm color sound feature on 4 X 600 foot reels. This is a beautiful print with fantastic colors. It is the best 007 film with the best Bond Sean Connery. Eon/United Artists. Director Guy Hamilton; Producer Harry Saltzman, Albert R. Broccoli; Screenplay Richard Maibaum, Paul Dehn; Camera Ted Moore; Editor Peter Hunt; Music John Barry; Art Director Ken Adam

Sean Connery Honor Blackman Gert Frobe Shirley Eaton Tania Mallet Harold Sakata
There's not the least sign of staleness in this third sample of the Bond 007 formula. Some liberties have been taken with Ian Fleming's original novel but without diluting its flavor. The mood is set before the credits show up, with Sean Connery making an arrogant pass at a chick and spying a thug creeping up from behind; he's reflected in the femme's eyeballs. So he heaves the heavy into bathful of water and connects it deftly to a handy supply of electricity.
Thereafter the plot gets its teeth into the real business, which is the duel between Bond and Goldfinger. The latter plans to plant an atomic bomb in Fort Knox and thus contaminate the US hoard of the yellow stuff so that it can't be touched, and thus increase tenfold the value of his own gold, earned by hard international smuggling.

Connery repeats his suave portrayal of the punch-packing Bond, who can find his way around the wine-list as easily as he can negotiate a dame. But, if backroom boys got star billing, it's deserved by Ken Adam, who has designed the production with a wealth of enticing invention. There's a ray-gun that cuts through any metal, and threatens to carve Bond down the middle. There's Goldfinger's automobile - cast in solid gold. And his farm is stocked with furniture that moves at the press of a button. Bond has his famous Aston Martin car from Q branch with machineguns,oil slick,tire tearing Ben Hur wheels, and ejection seat.

Honor Blackman makes a fine, sexy partner for Bond. As Pussy Galore, Goldfinger's pilot for his private plane, she does not take things lying down - she's a judo expert who throws Bond until the final k.o. when she's tumbled herself.

Gert Frobe, too, is near-perfect casting as the resourceful Goldfinger, an amoral tycoon who treats gold-cornering as a business like any other.

1964: Best Sound Effects
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2012 06:20 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite 'Connery' 'Bond' I bought this from Derann as soon as it was released by them. Not sure which negative it would have come from though? Print & sound are first rate. I originality had it mounted on 2 1200ft spools, there's a perfect break where Bond is tranquillised on the plane, it does mean cutting the film though. Now mounted on 1 2400ft spool.

Goldfinger has just about everything going for it. Action, humour, gadgets, music, and a great theme song. Think everything was just perfect in the film.

Laksmi, really nice screen shots to complement your review.

Oscar for Best Effects, Sound Effects Norman Wanstall who visited Blackpool convention a couple of times.

Also reminded me of the dinner Derann held at Pinewood in 84? The house was used and the gardens too. After the dinner we were trying to find the exit, but where we entered was closed (the famous gateway). We ended up taking a wrong turn I'm sure we drove down where Bond ended up crashing DB5.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2012 06:59 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...a good movie....and a great print. Just about a perfect print...colors spot on.....and about as sharp as you can get. I wish the producers had made it in scope, but they didn't use widescreen for Bond until the next one, Thunderball. If you can ever find a print of Goldfinger, don't pass it up.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 14, 2012 07:34 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent review Laksmi. However, nobody mentioned "The most famous car in the world" the Aston Martin DB5. I had the pleasure of actually sitting in the original film used vehicle in 1964. What a high. I have also been inside Pinewoods Soundstage 007. That almost brought tears to my eyes as I was so overwhelmed. It's like I was on scared ground. The End Goldfinger...James Bond will return.

-

[ December 14, 2012, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Pasquale DAlessio ]

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2012 01:14 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the Bond car was the only thing that I loved about the New Bond movie Skyfall. Thanks Pat I will always love that car.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 15, 2012 05:33 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then you probably should know that the one they blew up was a 3d replica created in detail by one of those new 3d printers. I read an article about it because it had me in a tizz wazz about blowing up one of the real ones. I wish I could remember the link. I love Skyfall I think it's the best Daniel Craig has done as yet. He is officially signed for two more films.

James Bond will return.......

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2012 07:41 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Pasquale.....they finally got it right with Skyfall...just enough of the things that made Bond fun, + a new grittier mood for today....great music score...knockout visuals...and a real story + one of the best villains ever in a Bond film.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC