8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Journey to the Centre of the Earth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Journey to the Centre of the Earth
Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 30, 2013 09:02 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
At long last, a digest of one of my favourite Jules Verne adventures
I imported the film from Germany, so obviously the language is
of that country, no problem, it's a very well known story. So the
projector was threaded up, the Marketing Logo hit the screen
then the first bars of Bernard Herrmans score and the usual
Letraset titles lead us into the role call by James Mason as Prof.
Lindenbrook, of his intrepid band of explorers before their descent into the earth.On their way,they find a crystal cave, cause a flood, and Pat Boone as Alec McKeowan manages to
get lost and stumble into the camp of Count Saknussem, a rival
of Lindenbrook. He wounds the young man when Alec refuses to carry the Counts equipment.The balance is restored when
the Professor turns the tables on his adversary.The big Icelander
known as Hans, spies a trail of duck feathers leading toward an
outcrop of rocks where the Count is occupied, realising that the
Count has eaten his feathered friend, the guide attacks the Count, who after a struggle is buried in a rock fall.
The film then moves to what is left of Atlantis and the discovery of an earlier explorer, a skeletal finger points the way out.Unfortunately the escape route is blocked by rock, but
gunpowder left in the dead explorers satchel, solves that problem, although the blast also rouses the dormant volcanoe and a huge liizard that tries
to consume them but is covered in molten lava as the heroes are thrown up through the chimney of the volcanoe while being
protected from the lava by means of a huge altar stone.
The heroes are discharged into the sea, and the final scenes
are on the steps of Edinburgh University with original end titles.
I was disappointed in the way that the German editor missed
the point of the whole exercise, no mention of their encounter
with the Dimetrodons, the mushroom forest, or the Saknussem Ocean with the raft/whirlpool sequence that was integral to the
plot as this was the centre of the earth.What we have are chunks of the film that serve as a souvenir, rather than a condensation of the whole.A pity as in 18 minutes the story
together with the scenes mentioned could have been incorporated and a worthwhile digest might have been formed.
The sound is loud and clear, the picture was something of a letdown, being slightly faded and dark, very similar to the 400'
"Raiders" I used to have. The film is presented "letterboxed"
The packaging is excellent as you would expect from Marketing, is the
blue box enclosed lid type.

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 30, 2013 09:39 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh,

Thanks so much for the review. I'm also a huge fan of this movie and I'm sorry to hear that Marketing decided to edit the feature this way. You're absolutely right....a decent 400' digest could've been done.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2013 01:40 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a shame! A pity that Ken Films or Derann never released this. I am not sure enough footage could have been included in a 400' digest to make the story more comprehensive. But that is a poor edit no question about it. I am quite fond of the feature myself.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2013 04:19 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I make you jealous, when I say, that I have one of the 4 existring full features of the film ? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 06, 2013 05:20 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
On the contrary Michael, I'm very pleased for you, and I hope the
other copies are in safe hands too. Far better to be in the care of
a caring collector like yourself than to be thrown away and lost.
Congratulations.

Ron Douglas
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2013 03:32 PM      Profile for Ron Douglas   Email Ron Douglas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fabulous Michael! That's a real gem to have. Can I ask how you know there are only 4 copies of this full feature?
Best wishes

--------------------
Ron

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC