8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Captain America (Scope/Stereo) (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Captain America (Scope/Stereo)
Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2013 09:49 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Cap! Thanks Doug  -
!

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

|  IP: Logged

Scott Mallory
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2013 09:57 PM      Profile for Scott Mallory   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got my copy and it is really edited well. Action on top of action but a really good job on condensing the story. I spliced the two parts together and slapped my scope "Good Will To Men" on the front of it.

--------------------
Scott

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 11, 2013 05:05 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been very popular this one and I watched the last print in stock fly off the shelf at Classic recently. Wonder who got that?

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2013 06:32 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been really interesting to see how popular this release has been.

So, how many copies do we reckon have sold??

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 26, 2013 06:02 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wondered if anyone who ordered a copy and had to hang on for the second or a later batch has now received it? I was particularly wondering if anyone who has a polyester print can comment on the colour and overall quality and whether they have been able to stripe the polyester balance stripe for stereo sound?

And any news on the other release that Steve Osborne decided to do that includes end credits and the trailer to the other film at the end?

[ August 26, 2013, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2013 09:58 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how many are out there. Steve told me that there was a batch of 8 that came in recently and that mine was included in the batch after that. I'm sending him a note soon that I'd like to add the end credits reel to my order so we'll see.

The batch before was 4-5? And this came out almost a year ago as I understand it. So about 13 in the last three months. And it's been out for nearly a year AND this doesn't include CHC orders.

It would be cool to hear a collective report from Phil and Steve by the end of the year to find out how many prints are in the wild.

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2013 09:26 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone received the end credits/Avengers trailer... I feel like I ordered that in a previous lifetime!

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2013 06:49 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told that the lab or the mail lost the original material the credits section was supposed to have been made from. Steve said unless they find it, there won't be an end credit section.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 23, 2013 05:09 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone got a Captain America polyester print yet?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2013 12:25 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I should know this already... but how can you tell if a print is polyester?

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2013 01:54 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Polyester is really strong and will not tear, plus it can only be spliced using tape not cement. And of course its thinner.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2014 03:28 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I actually bought my Captain America digest some months ago, but just FINALLY watched it last night. Here is my review:

Captain America (digest), 800 feet/32 minutes, color/scope, sound/stereo.

Let me start by saying, I have NOT seen the full-feature of this movie, so I can't say for certain what, if any, key scenes have been deleted. What I can say is that this is one PROFESSIONAL EDITING JOB! The quality of editing reminds me of the excellent Ken & Universal digests of the late 70's (Alien, Jaws, etc). This digest moves very smoothly, and never feels rushed. The sound editing is spot-on as well. I can certainly recommend this digest to any collector who likes these newer super hero movies, or just want new material on super 8.

Here's a few screen shots (like we don't have enough on this thread already ) [Smile]

- Captain America

-

-

-

These screen shots seem to pick up the grain at an exagerated level, but the grain is not as noticable when watching on the big screen. Still, it would be nice if these newer prints could be made on the same stock Derann used, as I think it will have a slightly more natural look.

With that said, this is an excellent quality release, and looks and feels like it was printed straight from a negative. Sharp edges to the images, and booming sound.

I will be looking for the end credit sequence when it arrives!

James.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 25, 2014 01:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it printed on polyester or Acetate stock?

I actually wouldn't mind getting this on polyester, but I'm tired of that yellowish acetate stock.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2014 01:31 PM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, it is available on both film stocks.
Polyester was mono & acertate was stereo

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 28, 2014 12:13 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a bit bemused about the mono stripe situation until I contacted el labo re printing and discovered they could only paste stripe main stripe on poly stock hence mono prints and twin stripe (stereo) on acetate. If you need stereo the type of stock will dictate if you get mono sound or stereo. It would appear the last operatives in the world to offer stereo paste striping on commercial prints would have been Derann and oh what a loss to see those stereo paste stripers hit the rubbish tip!We won’t see stereo Paste striped poly prints again so grab those acetate prints when you can.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 28, 2014 12:58 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Naw, Lee,

Though I like the occasional stereo print, I'm quite used to a good mono soundtrack and when it comes to great color and mono, or semi-great color and yellowed acetate, I'd rather go with the polyester ...

Besides, I have unfortunately found that even a brand new acetate print, can easily snap! I had just bought a print of Titanic on super 8 scope, acetate. I was rewinding the print and snapped on me and I had to splice the darned thing, right after buying it. Grrrr!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2014 05:08 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! Does Steve Osborne have an email address?

Thanx

--------------------
Maurizio

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2014 06:35 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve's email:
thereelimage_043@yahoo.com

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2014 07:12 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot.

--------------------
Maurizio

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 12, 2014 04:08 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi. Yes I also find the new (possibly very old stock) acetate prints a bit brittle which hints at aged materials perhaps, maybe this is where the yellow tint comes into it? Very nice to see these new prints become available still and like many now we do enjoy them here. I’ll be projecting some at our film fair next month as well on the Xenon.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2014 11:07 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received my print of CAPTAIN AMERICA from THE REEL IMAGE. It is from the latest run of stereo acetate prints....
Excellent job by Steve Osborne and everyone involved in making this very repeatable action film available to collectors! It looks and sounds great! [Big Grin]
I spliced on my SUPER 8 trailer at the beginning, and it makes a perfect, full 800' reel [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 09, 2014 04:49 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh the thrill of a new print flying through the front door!
My own print has arrived and my goodness looks smashing in Cinemascope. I timed this new release at 24fps total duration starting at flash frame 3 33:58:14 so it has a decent running time and as I say suits the wide format really well looking sharp. My copy was printed after the lab printer overhaul, the print is flawless and a delight to view.
[Cool]

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2014 07:25 AM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received my print yesterday and had to watch it twice, was briliant it has the best sound l have heard on S8 and the picture quality spot on.
This would have to be one of the most enjoyable digests I've seen.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 09, 2014 09:17 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will have the same print as me Jason and isn’t it amazing quality! Personally I would praise Steve to the limit for a very fine and I am sure overseen quality release the like we have not seen a 2X600 reel for so many a year. I’ll be looking forward to a few local collectors calling over the weekend to view it in sprawling scope and Stereo with this stereo track probably the best I have heard for a off the shelf Stereo release.

This release will be remembered by collectors for some time...

PS: I think we are batch three Jason.

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2014 04:08 AM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee,

I believe you are correct with batch three, and l would agree with what you have said all the way with this little gem.
I had a freind come over while l was screening this the second time and was most impressed with the film.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC